Snowblower oil

mowerman05

Threads
How often is everyone changing oil in a snowblower and what oil is everyone using?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports 0W-40 Ams oil in mine. Its good for the cold weather starting. Its a good idea to change it once a season and Ams oil will take a good 100 hrs. of run time. So it depends on how many hrs. you run your snowblower in a season.

Threads
How often is everyone changing oil in a snowblower and what oil is everyone using?

Can't remember off the top of my head what oil I use, but I change the oil at the beginning of every season (coming up in a few weeks).

attachment.php

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generally 5w-30 is what most snow blowers require brand of oil doesn't matter

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless you are using a good synthetic oil its a good idea to change your oil every 50 hrs. of running time a season. Blowing snow is a lot harder on a engine then mowing grass and most snow blowers don't use a air cleaner filter.

Edrdking

Threads
Hey all
I have a ariens 5hp. One of the older solid machines. My gears won't kick in. Right now the machine is stuck in neutral. The lever on the left hand side is also stuck. I opened up the bottom pan and oiled it all up.. Not sure how this system works.. Any one have any idea on how to unloosen the gears..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey all
I have a ariens 5hp. One of the older solid machines. My gears won't kick in. Right now the machine is stuck in neutral. The lever on the left hand side is also stuck. I opened up the bottom pan and oiled it all up.. Not sure how this system works.. Any one have any idea on how to unloosen the gears..

Its been since last winter that I worked on a Ariens snowblower. As I recall there are adjustments to the levers? Other then that just make sure all the linkage is free and not rusted. Also the axle bushings ten to wear out on them and need replacement.

valley ranch

Threads
I've used 30W, I give the engine time to warm up after starting before I put it to work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've used 30W, I give the engine time to warm up after starting before I put it to work.

I don't see nothing wrong with this. Through my experience I have found that when the temperature gets below -0 the engine gets hard to start with SAE 30 and that is the reason I use the 0W-40.

valley ranch

Threads
I've been thinking about this, the use of lighter oil, I'm working on, making, a Bandmill, I have been considering using 5W 30 or 15W 40 during winter.