110 volt cutting and welding

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of years ago I bought a 110 volt wire welder from Tractor Supply.

JobSmart 125 Amp Fluxcore Welder - For Life Out Here

It has done a good job for me. I would buy another one if something happened to the one I have.

A week or so ago I ordered a 110 volt Plasma cutter from Northern Tool. I used it several times in the last few days and I am impressed with it as well.

FREE SHIPPING — Klutch Plasma 275i 115V Inverter-based Plasma Cutter — 20 Amp Output | Plasma Cutters| Northern Tool + Equipment

I many times build things or repair things that I need these things. It is kind of amazing to me that something like this works so well considering the price.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am still old school. Still using a acetylene torch set. Everything I see and read about a plasma cutter it is the way to go. Can you just heat something up with a plasma cutter or weld, or is it just for cutting. For my small shop and my age I find I am getting by just fine with my torch set and stick welder for any repairs I am doing. If a person is doing a lot of steel work they would surely need something different in tools then I have.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am still old school. Still using a acetylene torch set. Everything I see and read about a plasma cutter it is the way to go. Can you just heat something up with a plasma cutter or weld, or is it just for cutting. For my small shop and my age I find I am getting by just fine with my torch set and stick welder for any repairs I am doing. If a person is doing a lot of steel work they would surely need something different in tools then I have.

No the Plasma just cuts like the torch does. It just does it without gas our oxygen. It does not weld either.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know in a pinch before I got my acetylene torch set I would cut steel with my stick welder by turning the amps. high. It was a very poor quality cut but it worked. As I understand the Plasma cutter works some what the same way ? but dose a very smooth job. Never used or seen one so don't know very much about them.

RoperGuy

Threads
Plasma cutters will give extremely clean cuts when used right. Much less heat is transferred to the work piece, but really only effective up to around 1/4-3/8. pretty simple to use as well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When old man Dillion demonstrated his low pressre low volume oxy torch I was hooked and have one of the very rar genuine Dillion torches.
It will cut just as good as a plasma in any meal up to 2" thick.
The same kit can weld alumilium foil ( the stuff the missus uses in the kitchen ).
Been using it for 40 years.
Better than working with no gas. This works with no electricity.
Now days they are owned by a US company Henrob & made by another mob called Cobra because Australians refuse to support anything that is designed & made in Australia.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want to start welding. I've done it once and I sucked lol. The weld was ugly. The guy showed me how to do it (webbing motion), but my hand was shaky and I didn't do well.

He told me that 120 v welder wasn't good enough/strong enough. Is that true? I would love to buy a welder and just start welding and practicing. So usefull for quick fixes and building.

There is also the problem of welding at your house. Commercial welding is illegal here. I guess I could weld with the garage door closed.

RoperGuy

Threads
It's not that a 110v isn't good/strong enough, it's just limited to thinner material. It would be a good a good unit to learn on, if your garage isn't wired for 240v then it's hard to justify the investment.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't have 240 volts so I would need the 110 volts. I could get one when I am down in the US.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's not that a 110v isn't good/strong enough, it's just limited to thinner material. It would be a good a good unit to learn on, if your garage isn't wired for 240v then it's hard to justify the investment.
Tractor Supply has the little 110 volt wire feed welders reasonable. One of the key things to make a decent weld, especially with these little welders is to make sure both pieces you are welding are throughly clean. Even new metal needs to be cleaned till it is shiny with a grinder of some sort. I have not welded much in a lot of years but that is rule of thumb on about anything you weld and anything you weld with.