Honda motor on log spitter "kicking back"?

Sapman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy, I have a wood splitter with a Honda GC160 motor on it. Lately, when I try to start it, the recoil sometimes pulls back so hard that it snaps the pull rope or almost dislocates my shoulder. The splitter manufacturer (Northstar) says it is an engine problem, not a hydrolic valve issue. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things,
1) engine ful of fuel creating a hydraulic lock from float not cutting off fuel.
2) Engine out of time due to flywheel key being sheared.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Valve clearances, and imoperable compression release can also cause similar problems. If you plan on removing the valve cover, just go ahead and get a new cover on the way, because you bend the cover getting it off. the cover is inexpensive, and the hondabond, that they use to put the cover on is like super glue.

Sapman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ilengine, thanks for confirming what a tech at Northstar told me about the compression release. I'll focus my efforts in trying to figure out how to correct that. Is there an obviuos way to tell if that is the problem once the valve cover is off?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rotate the engine slowly by hand and watch the valves going up & down.
You should see a valve ( usually the inlet now days ) partially open & close just before TDC.
However checking the valve lash will do the same thing.
If valve lash is OK try going a thou or two tighter.
Still no joy then it is new cam time.

John S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy, I have a wood splitter with a Honda GC160 motor on it. Lately, when I try to start it, the recoil sometimes pulls back so hard that it snaps the pull rope or almost dislocates my shoulder. The splitter manufacturer (Northstar) says it is an engine problem, not a hydrolic valve issue. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem? new member John S.w/ answer. Your keyway has been sheared & now motor out of time. Keyway goes into groove in crankshaft and flywheel fits over protruding keyway. Flywheel has a slot on tapered inner surface which when intact keeps flywheel in direct relation to crank, and in time.