JD Gator blades...very disappointed with cutting performance

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / JD Gator blades...very disappointed with cutting performance
My 4210 with 60-inch 7-Iron MMM has always done poorly at chopping grass clippings up, even with very sharp blades. Posted my issue on TBN, and some members there advised me to buy JD Gator blades, or a comparable Oregon blade, telling me clippings would be much finer. Well, after the first 30 mowing hours this year, mostly with wet or damp grass, using a set of sharp OEM JD blades, I removed the OEM set, powerwashed off about 20 pounds of grass build up on the deck, and installed the Gator blades.

Result is...almost no improvement in cutting up dry grass, maybe 10-15% reduction in clipping size....and NO IMPROVEMENT in cutting high and/or wet grass at all. I had hoped to reduce all the raking I have to do of grass clippings, because it takes several hours per week alone to rake everything up. No matter how often I chop up the clippings, they will not break down and leave unsightly windrows all over my lawn.

No matter how high I cut the grass, or if I just do half a deck width at a time, and even running the engine at PTO speed (2600 rpm) while mowing....NO IMPROVEMENT.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I prefer a low lift blade, almost a flat blade! Cuts just as well as any other, doesn't pick up nearly as much sand, doesn't clog the deck in damp grass as much, and they create less drag. Wish I had only known of them my first 7-8 years of mowing. You will have to get them from Rotary, etc... Many of the OEM blades are not made in the low lift. Will be after market blades more than likely. My guess is they want us lawn guys to wear the decks out and buy New Mowers.:biggrin:

Jetblast

Threads
From what I've gathered online, how well they perform depends a lot on accidental characteristics of the deck design and who knows what else, so that may account for the wide variations in reported satisfaction. Because of that I felt like I was taking a gamble in buying them, but I was lucky to find three on Amazon Marketplace out of their original packaging for $10 a crack.

Mine are Oregon 3 'n 1 High-Lift Gators which went on my 60" Cub Cadet deck and they're working better than I expected, especially when cutting wet grass even during light rain. (I don't like to cut in the rain but I've had no choice this year.) I'd read about how they're only good for dry conditions, but with mine there has been no clumping this spring and for the first time ever, I can't see the grass clippings laying on the lawn. Total success so I'm delighted, but given what seems to be a little bit of a crapshoot nature regarding them, I'd probably be hesitant to recommend them without reservation other than to someone with my exact mower.

Sorry to hear they're not working out on your deck. You've tried nearly everything I would try, although I did read once that on some decks it helps to wire or brace the discharge chute up a few degrees to lessen the deck discharge pressure and blow the clippings over a wider area.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
When I was experimenting with Gator Blades way back! I learned they did great for me in the early mowing season, as I got in the heat of it here in FL is when I realized, I didn't like them as much anymore. They may work for some better, depending on where they live.

Jetblast

Threads
In the reports I read there seems to be nearly universal acclaim for their leaf chopping ability over standard blades. My lawn has forty mature oak and hickory trees on it, so I'm looking forward to a better fall cleanup with maybe less need to pass twice over the leafiest areas. We'll see!

Grass type could be a big player with how well they work, but I think JDgreen and I probably have pretty much the same stuff.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know, some people (KennyV) with some machines don't like them, but the Meg-Mo blades work great for me (especially in wet grass).:thumbsup:
4 cutting knives per spindle and they kick back if you hit any obstruction.
Meg-Mo Blades.jpg

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Think you right Jetblast, just realized he's from Michigan.:thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I really don't think Michigan has anything to do with it. Not meaning to be a smart A$$ but it has nothing to do with location, it's the mower deck he is trying to use them on. Those Gator Blades wont work on that deck at least not the way people think they should or the way he wants them to.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really don't think Michigan has anything to do with it. Not meaning to be a smart A$$ but it has nothing to do with location, it's the mower deck he is trying to use them on. Those Gator Blades wont work on that deck at least not the way people think they should or the way he wants them to.

My grass is not that good, half weeds in much of it, and not very thick. There were only two decks available for my JD when I purchased it, the 60-inch 7-Iron, and a 72-inch model. Salesguy told me the 7-Iron would cut better than the 72-inch model would. The deck and attachment parts were a 2 grand option on my tractor...I would expect it to have decent cutting performance ESPECIALLY with new, sharp blades and a very high blade tip speed (15948 feet per minute @2100 rpm).

I have tried blocking the discharge chute up a few degrees and fully open with almost no difference in the discharge size. Ric, do you have any recommendations for a blade that would perform better?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have tried blocking the discharge chute up a few degrees and fully open with almost no difference in the discharge size. Ric, do you have any recommendations for a blade that would perform better?

I looked at your mowing deck and IMO the reason you can't use the Gator Blades is because your deck like a lot of fabricated decks is wide open in the front which allows the grass to be discharged without being re-cut by the blades.

I have the same problem. My 44" Stamped deck works fantastic with Gator Blades, when I mow with it there is absolutely no grass left regardless of the type of grass. My 48" ZTR has a Fab deck and I bought a set of the GB for it and it's absolutely useless, it leaves grass all over the place and they leave a lot of uncut grass, they really suck on it. That's why I say it's a deck problem not the blades.

I tried everything to make them work, removed the paint from the blade edges, made sure they were sharp, and I have to sharpen blades frequently, adjusted my cutting height and it didn't make any difference. If I run the regular High Lifts on the 48" it cuts great no problem.

Something I was told and I don't know how true this is but I was told to achieve optimum performance with Gator Blades blade tip speed needs to be 18500 or better to get the best cut.

As far as recommendations, I go back to the original high Lifts until I figured out something else and if you come up with something on the Gator Blades let us all know because I think there's a lot of us in the same boat or having the same problem.