Keeping it Simpl(icity)

hanyoukimura

Threads
I've been itching to get a hold of an older Simplicity snowblower for a year+ now, as I think they look really neat and really sturdily made. Well one finally popped up close to home for $50 so I had to get it. It's not the two stage paddle style snowblower I also want, but the single stage S4. This is easily the beefiest single stage snowblower I've ever come across. It weighs probably double what the Craftsman we have weighs and for good reason: its built to last. Thick steel, metal guards for everything, chains, greaseable parts, gear drive transmission. What's not to love? Well old gas that rusted out the fuel tank and gummed up the carburetor.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I was a afraid the tank would be a total write off, but as I have no spare parts for it, I wanted to try and save it. I came learned of the magic of Muriatic Acid and decided to try that. I ended up using a substitute called Acid Magic which won't harm unopened skin (though I still wore safety gear). After about an hour it had removed nearly all the rust down to bare metal. I ended up soaking the tank upside down overnight in WD-40 Rust Remover (similar product to Evopo-Rust) to get the top of the inside of the tank cleaned up.

If you look closely you can see by the reflections of light on the wet rusty surface just how bad it was.

web.jpg

However after I was done with it...

web.jpg

I didn't get any photos of the carburetor while it was off, but while it was in good shape overall besides varnish and needing a new gasket and diaphragm, the brass pickup tube was pretty corroded from sitting in the tank. I gave it a quick 30 second dip in the used acid and it the corrosion wiped right off. Just don't use that acid on aluminum pieces!

I had trouble getting it to run, so I ended up taking the carburetor off again and cleaning it some more, found some passages I missed the first time (as well as the jet which I forgot to clean). I also rinsed the tank out one more time, then painted everything with engine enamel.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Surprisingly, the air filter was dirty but otherwise in good shape, so I cleaned and oiled it, while also painting the upper half of the housing.

It took a bit longer than I was wanting, but today it finally started up and ran. With a little tuning, it now seems to run very well and everything works! With the exception of the fuel being left in the tank, it seems like the snowblower was decently cared for. The body is in good shape with no serious rust, the worst being surface rust in front of the chute which I will touch up. All of the grease fittings I found had grease around them so that tells me its been lubricated too, and the oil didn't even look bad.

Here she is running. I need to clean the covers up and I'll repaint the starter housing before putting it back together.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
looks good glad you got ahold of what you were looking for:smile:

hanyoukimura

Threads
Thanks! I can wait for the snow but I can't wait to try it!

hanyoukimura

Threads
Tried to cold start it today, fired up on the first pull. :D

Now it just needs an oil change. Does anyone know what oil these oil Briggs engines use for winter duty? Id it 5w30?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hate to tell you this, but that engine does not go with that blower. Engine built for blowers do not come with air filters. Air filters in snow conditions will freeze up very quickly and all that moisture being sucked into thecarb and cylinder will ruin it very fast. You are going to have to remove the air filter and build a heat box around the carb. We use and recommend 10W-30 oil for all Briggs engine which are being used in cold weather conditions.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Hate to tell you this, but that engine does not go with that blower. Engine built for blowers do not come with air filters. Air filters in snow conditions will freeze up very quickly and all that moisture being sucked into thecarb and cylinder will ruin it very fast. You are going to have to remove the air filter and build a heat box around the carb. We use and recommend 10W-30 oil for all Briggs engine which are being used in cold weather conditions.

Actually, I think it does go with the snowblower. Its not the first snowblower I've seen with an air filter on it. Seems the early 70s and older did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwrkp3g10iI

https://youtu.be/1goF_ys6eZ0?t=26

CAM00449_zpsketfoqlh.jpg

Those covers that bolt to the engine are likely what keep it warm and protected from moisture. I just haven't put the covers back on yet.