Briggs 18HP V twin valves dont move

chazdo2

Threads
The engine turns over the keyway on the flywheel is not broken. I was asked by a friend to fix it after he heard a loud bang. Just spins and valves don't move on either side. Camshaft broke? Any help appreciated!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine turns over the keyway on the flywheel is not broken. I was asked by a friend to fix it after he heard a loud bang. Just spins and valves don't move on either side. Camshaft broke? Any help appreciated!!!

Could be a couple of things.
I would just open it up and take a look.
You are going to have to get in there anyways.

Tinkerer200

Threads

Yeah, you won't know until you open it up but my guess the engine is ruined.

Walt Conner

pauly50

Threads
have you made sure pistons are moving up and down in the cylinder ? if you have both rocker covers off and push rods are not opening / closing any of the valves , and rocker stud bolts are in place as are the rockers , you will need to remove engine from chassis , drain oil, remove sump plate and check crank pinion that drives the camshaft , it may be split , broken or if thats ok it may be a broken cam shaft , while in there check con-rod bolts are tight and everything else is ok ie governor , counter balancer ,just make sure you find what the cause is ? because it may be a case of replacing crank pinion and camshaft along with 0.015" sump gasket and pto oil seal and reassemble and refit and refill with oil and replace oil filter, reset in /ex valve clearance on both cylinders , adjust govenor and let her rip

have a look

cheers pauly50