Residential Zero Turn

mattaggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to decide on a Zero turn.

46" Husqvarna Z246
42" Hustler Raptor
42" Toro TimeCutter (various engine options).

The Hustler and Toro are from Home Depot where I can use about $1000 worth of credit card points. The Husqvarna would be from the Ace Hardware where I work. We aren't a Husq "dealer" so we cant order the nicer models, just a few of the lower end ones. Also I'd get it at cost, which would save a few hundred off retail.

I currently use a 48" Husqvarna riding tractor. Takes me about an hour to mow .7 acres. Flat land. Currently I also use the lawn tractor to pull a broadcast spreader and a core aerator. Can a zero turn pull the aerator?

I've never used a zero turn before. I'm intrigued by Toro's steering wheel version of a zero turn. Thanks for any input.

csmlet

Threads
Trying to decide on a Zero turn.

46" Husqvarna Z246
42" Hustler Raptor
42" Toro TimeCutter (various engine options).

The Hustler and Toro are from Home Depot where I can use about $1000 worth of credit card points. The Husqvarna would be from the Ace Hardware where I work. We aren't a Husq "dealer" so we cant order the nicer models, just a few of the lower end ones. Also I'd get it at cost, which would save a few hundred off retail.

I currently use a 48" Husqvarna riding tractor. Takes me about an hour to mow .7 acres. Flat land. Currently I also use the lawn tractor to pull a broadcast spreader and a core aerator. Can a zero turn pull the aerator?

I've never used a zero turn before. I'm intrigued by Toro's steering wheel version of a zero turn. Thanks for any input.

Just curious, kinda in the same boat. Which did you choose?

mattaggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the Husqvarna Z246 that my store sells. Its the cheapest of the three options. Ive never used the other two, so I cant really compare. Im guessing the other two are probably better/nicer mowers in some ways due to their higher price. The Husqvarna does fine for me. It actually pulls stuff better than my lawn tractor did. I am glad I got a 46" rather than a 42". If I got a Toro I'd probably look at their 50". But of course that depends on how big your mowing area is.

I've only had it for one season. I guess the true measure of a machine is how long it lasts, what it looks like 10 years from now. So the verdict is still out on that. The Husq certainly isnt as heavy as the Hustler, but for a homeowner using once a week on a well kept yard, Im not sure thats an important factor. One complaint is that the ride is kinda bumpy. I guess thats due to mowing at a faster speed and you dont have 4 big tires like a lawn tractor.

csmlet

Threads
I bought the Husqvarna Z246 that my store sells. Its the cheapest of the three options. Ive never used the other two, so I cant really compare. Im guessing the other two are probably better/nicer mowers in some ways due to their higher price. The Husqvarna does fine for me. It actually pulls stuff better than my lawn tractor did. I am glad I got a 46" rather than a 42". If I got a Toro I'd probably look at their 50". But of course that depends on how big your mowing area is.

I've only had it for one season. I guess the true measure of a machine is how long it lasts, what it looks like 10 years from now. So the verdict is still out on that. The Husq certainly isnt as heavy as the Hustler, but for a homeowner using once a week on a well kept yard, Im not sure thats an important factor. One complaint is that the ride is kinda bumpy. I guess thats due to mowing at a faster speed and you dont have 4 big tires like a lawn tractor.

What engine did you get, saw some with B & S and others with Kohler

mattaggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine has a Briggs engine. The kohler adds a few hundred dollars to it. I honestly dont know enough about the engines to know if its worth it or not.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a residential mower, makes little difference.
The kohler is a better mower but neither will outlast the other when used residentially.
Briggs parts tend to be a little cheaper.
Look at things that will make your life easier.
Where is the oil filter ?
Can you change it without spilling oil every where ?
How big is the air filter ?
is it easy to access & change ?
Can you buy the foam wraps seperately ?
Where is the fuel filter ?
Can you see it , for visual inspections.
Dose the fuel tank have a tap ?
Makes changing the fuel filter a lot easier & cleaner.

The top end residentials are about the same as the low end commercials and offer the home owner the best value for money.
Fabricated decks take a lot more punishment that pressed decks and usually give a better cut and longer belt life.
Belts that 5/8" will last longer than 1/2" ones.
Flip up floor boards make cleaning & belt maintanance a lot easier than welded or bolt up ones.
Toro decks do not handle cutting grass too short on uneven lawns particularly well and have a bad habit of popping off the lift rod.
So if you like your lawn too short ( lower than 2" ) don't buy the toro.
The Husky decks are held on better but that means they are harder to remove, so you don't do it till it is too late.
The 3 bolt Husky blade spindle is a load of rubbish and break very easily so if you go for a husky, get the smallest 3 blade deck which puts less stress on each spindle housing.
Deck width is a funny thing, a bigger deck can actually be slower particularly if you have a lot of obstacles to mow around.
I have customers on 1 acre blocks that have gone back to 32/34/36 inch decks because they can mow their entire yard without having to get out the walk behind.
If you have slopes or rough grounds big decks will scalp at the slightest provocation.

And of course, where will you store it ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro decks do not handle cutting grass too short on uneven lawns particularly well and have a bad habit of popping off the lift rod.
So if you like your lawn too short ( lower than 2" ) don't buy the toro.

Bert-

Toro Dealer has told me that Toro came out with a fix for those that scalp their lawns & may have popped off the lift rod. Small bracket that gets bolted on to the hang hooks. No more issue.

So problem solved. I made my own when I saw the design & read about it back in 2014. But I still cut 3-1/2"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thats interesting.
We are obviously getting all the USA cast offs
Brand new timecutters down here still have the old hooks.
OTOH at $ 20 a hit to rehang these decks I should not complain.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know if the 2017's Timecutters come stock with the bracket fix or not ? Guess I should'a asked that.

I do know Dealer is retrofitting any used ones with "the fix".

Maybe it's only a 'if you complain fix', if I find out, I'll post up.

I wish my neighbors' would unhook, he mows at 1-1/2" bermuda. I would be glad to re-hook him for a $20.:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't know if the 2017's Timecutters come stock with the bracket fix or not ? Guess I should'a asked that.

I do know Dealer is retrofitting any used ones with "the fix".

Maybe it's only a 'if you complain fix', if I find out, I'll post up.

I wish my neighbors' would unhook, he mows at 1-1/2" bermuda. I would be glad to re-hook him for a $20.:thumbsup:

Grandfather was a cropper obviously.
Around here the usual guff I get is
"I need it short so the preditor birds can see the snakes crossing the grass"
The fact that an eagle can see a mouse at 100 foot burrowing under tussocks seems to have escaped them
Office executives- what can I say but $ 20 thanks.