ZG 124E difficult to start

ozzy14559

Threads
I've had my 124E for 2yrs now(51hrs) 24 hp briggs and from day one its been difficult to start, 3-4 cranks with the choke on before its finally starts. Now with the cooler weather it takes about 5 or 6 six times with a hint of gas smell before it starts. I mow one a week so thats how it sits before the next use. The tank is refueled every month with fresh gas Mobil 89 octane). When the engine is warm it fires right up. Are these engines more tempermental?, am I doing something wrong?, or does the choke need adjustment?. Thanks for any suggestions.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try using 93 octane gas next time you fill up. Purchase a bottle of B&S fuel treatment & add to gas can per instructions on bottle before filling can. Let us know if this helps.

Ragnar4841

Threads
Similar to my ZG124e, but that is how it's always been. I've never thought anything of it.

I have an issue where it'll click once but not start with each key turn--sometimes it'll do this for several minutes. I've checked all the battery and solenoid connections and everything is clean and tight. It's not the battery either.

Anyone seeing anything similar? Can take it in under warranty, but I don't have a way to transport it so I'd rather not go to the trouble.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ozzy, check to see if the choke is fully closing, have seen more than one which was no set properly.
Ragnar, check the ground connection from the negative cable to the chassis, clean and tight. Also, check the ground connection from the solenoid. I'll bet one of those is not clean and tight.

ozzy14559

Threads
Thanks folks for your comments, actually been using higher octane gas this month(Sunoco), no change. Ragnar, like Rivets said, probably a loose connection on your machine, my z turn cranks over fine just when it decides to fire up is the problem. I just changed the oil and switched to amsoil sae30/10w30 synthetic and this weekend change the air filter and check the carb for choke position like Rivets suggested. Let ya know what I find out. Thanks again!