Vertical shaft with auxiliary horizontal shaft??

arch252

Threads
Anyone seen one of these? From what I could tell it was factory design, older model in the 5 hp range. I don't know much about it and I can't find any info on a Tecumseh model like that. I have an opportunity to pick one up pretty cheap and I believe it runs or is fixable. Anyone know anything about these?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of self propelled tools implements run the drive off an auxiliary shaft.
All the early honda SP mowers were like that which is one reason why they were relatively expensive

arch252

Threads
I've never seen that in a Tecumseh engine so i didn't know how many of them are around. Is it worth buying and working on or is it of no more value than an older standard horizontal shaft?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Noma, Roper, Murray and a few others used a gear reduction auxiliary drive to power the drive wheels on their cheaper units back in the 80's. Pain in the butt to work on when they went bad, but lucky that didn't happen very often. Unless you have a use for the engine, I wouldn't buy it.

arch252

Threads
LOL, this one is in very good condition, it was a tech. shop engine so it was never used. It was in pieces but that was okay because I had to go through it and make sure all the bolts were tight anyway. It is a 4 hp. Went together easy and everything was there. I've got a ground somewhere preventing the spark but I should be able to fix that rather easily tomorrow then I'm hoping for a smooth start up and run. I paid $20 for it and no, I don't have any use for it! Hopefully I can think of something creative to do with it.