Bring a 94 Back to Life

WoodruffFarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got an old DC for a song. Frame was in great shape. Motor was in pieces with burned up wiring harness. Doesn't appear to have run for 10 years. Someone else tried to repair it, but failed. Now it's my project.

Wiring and motor is now thumbs up. No issues. On to the hydraulics....

Just put on a drive belt. With rear end jacked up. Hydraulics work as I think they should on both sides. No whining, wheels move forward & back, but they have no power. Fluid appears good (was changed by previous owner, but I doubt seriously he got the system purged properly).

Where to start? FYI... I've never had nor worked on a zero turn before. Kinda winging this.

WoodruffFarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the links. Have already downloaded those and used them to get this far. Kind of hoping that this is a simple "air in the lines" issue. Will find out later today.

WoodruffFarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
[EDIT] Just in case I can hope to be so fortunate....

Anybody know where the dump valves are on these old Sundstrand 65015 & 6 pumps are?

I'm leaning towards the system having been put in "freewheel" mode when they burnt it up & it's been passing thru time that way. One can hope anyway :)

Back to my original question I posted....

-----------------------------------

I fear my hydraulics are in a low pressure situation due to pump/gear failure - not air. Cheapest I've found pumps is 450-ish. I've found a couple places that will quote rebuilding, but I'd like to isolate the problem to either the pumps or the wheel motors (or both). Two quick questions:

1) What pressure should the Sundstrand pumps be capable of putting out? Figure I can easily put a gauge in line and cobble together a method to evaluate, but does any one have the factory guidelines with regards to how these pumps should be tested?

2) Long shot hope, but is there an internal pump by-bass valve that might be open?

3) How would you evaluate a wheel motor other than a complete tear down.

Thanks.

Last edited: