Bolens 760 steering gears wearing out

Pat Bergin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see numerous mentions of this issue, so it's obviously well known. Mine's a 2008 model. It was fine for 7 years, then I started getting the slip when turning, and eventually it wouldn't turn at all. I've replaced both the steering shaft and the fan (sector) gear, but it did hang up once when I mowed the lawn. My question is this: Some people are suggesting grease on the gears. I would think this might add to the problem rather than correcting it and I'm sure there was no grease on those gears when I bought the mower.

should I grease 'em up?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a dry lithium spray grease.
Did toy also replace the bushes ?
Usually a metal on at the bottom and a plastic one at the top.
Having the steering shaft in the right plave makes a world of difference.
Owners manual says to lube the steering gear with oil but you need to be tripple jointed to get in there.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes, metal parts that mesh need grease due to friction & heat buildup. I personally grease steering sector & pinion gears liberally, as much grease as I can smear on them, then rotate steering wheel back & forth several times making sure all teeth have grease.

Pat Bergin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Absolutely yes, metal parts that mesh need grease due to friction & heat buildup. I personally grease steering sector & pinion gears liberally, as much grease as I can smear on them, then rotate steering wheel back & forth several times making sure all teeth have grease.

Well I greased everything up, went out and drove the tractor around, made a few turns a now it has completely chewed the shaft up again. This is the 3rd shaft that this thing has destroyed. I replaced the fan gear, so I know that's not the issue, the wheels turn just fine there's no binding of any kind, the bearing gear at the bottom has been replaced twice. The thing just begins to slip, and the next thing I know, the pinion gear is toast.

Any clue what's happening here?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you replaced the bushings and/or bearings on both the steering shaft and sector plate. If not that is the cause of your problem. They are probably worn and causing your new parts to wear faster.

Pat Bergin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you replaced the bushings and/or bearings on both the steering shaft and sector plate. If not that is the cause of your problem. They are probably worn and causing your new parts to wear faster.

Yup, sure did. I did everything the service bulletin on this issue said to do

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you replaced all of the bushes on the steering shaft ( including the top one ) and all the holes are still round and not flogged out oval there is no reason why the shaft should strip other than faulty parts.
If you bought them from a reputable dealer take them back.
If you bought generic parts off the web then it is tough luck.
There is a mass of junk out there made by vendors who send parts overseas with the ins ruction "make 10000 of these that LOOK exactly the same as cheap as possible "

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Bert said, check to see where you are getting sloppiness between the steering gear and sector plate. The only thing which will cause your problem is that the teeth are not meshing properly. Should be able to see where something is loose.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bolens Riding Mower - 13AM762F765 as stated above make sure you are using OEM original replacement parts MTD.

Bolens Riding Mower - 13AM762F765 scroll down page for parts

After replacing worn out steering parts, scotch rear wheels & jack up front axle making sure sector & pinion gears mesh smoothly by turning wheels right & left by hand, engine not running, if not meshing smoothly adjust until it is smooth by loosening bolts on sector plate & moving plate one way or another until gears mesh smoothly, then grease gears.

Last edited:

Derek101

Threads
Check the hole in the main chassis for play sometimes the bush wears the steel