Husquvarna string trimmer question

afoulk

Threads
Hoping you guys can help me out. I have a consumer model Husquvarna string trimmer and will be using it pretty hard in a couple weeks to help my mom clear some of her property. Sorry, I can't remember the model number off the top of my head, but it's the model that accepts different attachments. Anyways, I would like to change the grease in the gear box at the trimmer head as I've had it almost 4 years now and its never been done. If I remember right, the owners manual never really says what to use and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me. Thanks.

Lawnranger

Threads
Take a look at the picture in this link: Echo String Trimmer SRM 2100 Original Part Gear Head Case Works Well | eBay See the hex head bolt? On an Echo gear case you remove that bolt and squeeze some special grease in there and that's it. Echo sells the special grease in squeeze tubes and tubes that fit a standard grease gun.

NOW, since you didn't provide any model number or anything else that helps us identify the product you own, your machine may not have a grease-able gear case. So here's what you do: find the model number for the attachment and then search the web for the owner's manual which will tell you if your model has a grease-able gear case and how to service said gear case.

afoulk

Threads
OK, finally got a chance to look it up, I believe it's a 128LD. Found the manual online, and all it says is that it shouldn't need changed unless repairs are made, and if it should need topped off, to remove the plug and fill 3/4 full with Husquvarna " special " grease

logan01

Threads
I've had my Husquvarna 128 since around 1995 and used it about 200 hours a year. Never greased it and have only replaced the gas cap gasket and muffler once. Great machine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not worry about.
Unless you have had it apart.
Both of mine have well over 1000 hours.

afoulk

Threads
OK guys, thanks.

afoulk

Threads
On a side note, I found that the mower repair shop up the road from the place I just moved to is a redmax dealer. Are they affiliated with Husquvarna in anyway? I stopped in there today just to nose around, and I swear a couple of their string trimmers looked exactly like my husky, just red and black instead of orange and gray. I was once told that husqvarnas residential trimmers are basically poulans now, which I wasn't aware of till after I bought it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The profit levels on garden equipment is very low.
So manufacturing can only be sustained by very large production runs to get the most return from the tooling.
Thus nearly every item you buy will have an identical looking model with a differnt brand.
While being made in the same factory with the same tooling and looking similar, usually the cheaper ones are just that, cheaper.
Cheaper inition modules, cheaper steel ( lower grade ) , no heat treatment so gears wear out sooner, no grease seals, etc etc etc.
Unless you can see a greasy residue around the head or the head is noisy & sloppy, no need to worry about greasing it.
If you still want to the they usually take 00 grade grease which will come in a tube and has a consistency of toothpaste.
I have used 2 tubes in 3 years as a small engine workshop and these went into very old trimmers that had obvious leaks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, finally got a chance to look it up, I believe it's a 128LD. Found the manual online, and all it says is that it shouldn't need changed unless repairs are made, and if it should need topped off, to remove the plug and fill 3/4 full with Husquvarna " special " grease

The grease level should be check about every 25hrs. If you remove the fill plug and you can't see grease then add grease, just don't fill it completely.

tybilly

Threads
On a side note, I found that the mower repair shop up the road from the place I just moved to is a redmax dealer. Are they affiliated with Husquvarna in anyway? I stopped in there today just to nose around, and I swear a couple of their string trimmers looked exactly like my husky, just red and black instead of orange and gray. I was once told that husqvarnas residential trimmers are basically poulans now, which I wasn't aware of till after I bought it.

Yes Husqvarna owns Redmax now,according to the local dealer