Z225 Electrical Issues

GMcKinney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 John Deere Z225 EZ-Track mower which is having an electrical problem that started three weeks ago. As I was cutting (electrical pto engaged), the mower would begin to sputter and stop cutting. The engine did not shut down, but would sputter. When I disengaged the pto, the mower would run correctly with the same power as before. At that time I removed all connections and cleaned them, this included all on the wiring harness as well as the battery and solenoid. It appeared to fix the problem. Then the next week, the problem started again. I did research on line and it was recommended I change my seat safety switch which I did. No success. However, when the problem would start (it is not continuous) I would stop the mower and disconnect and reconnect all the points within the wiring harness. This would work for about 10-12 rounds on the mower and then it would start again. Thought it might be the electric pto, so I replaced it. No success. Then this past week when I cut the mower off to do my disconnect reconnect process, the mower would not restart. I checked the ignition switch connector and there was 12.99 volts coming to the positive wire into the switch, so I thought I had a bad ignition switch and ordered one. No success. As I was working on the system, I noticed when I moved the steering lateral off the switch, power was restored to my led hour meter. However, I still could not start the mower. I then conducted more online research and came across a way to check the solenoid. In doing this, I found that there was no power going to my starter by checking the ground post on the four post solenoid. The starter will turn over as I have tested it by straight wiring it.

I am now approximately $80 into parts and no closer to a solution. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Gmckinney

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The safety switch system by and large works by providing alternate earths.
One of the few really good ideas universally taken up.
First try disconnecting the clutch the nest time it plays up.
If the problem goes away check the clutch itself for a short.
If it does not go away then you have a safety switch fault, a wire that is shorting out or even an internal problem in the PTO switch.
These are a PIA to find and generally the system used is to replace with a known good one till the problem goes away.
Or in your case to bypass each switch one at a time till the problem goes away.

Weather you are up to this depends upon how well you understand circuitry and if you can read a circuit diagram.

GMcKinney

Forum Newbie
Threads
The safety switch system by and large works by providing alternate earths.
One of the few really good ideas universally taken up.
First try disconnecting the clutch the nest time it plays up.
If the problem goes away check the clutch itself for a short.
If it does not go away then you have a safety switch fault, a wire that is shorting out or even an internal problem in the PTO switch.
These are a PIA to find and generally the system used is to replace with a known good one till the problem goes away.
Or in your case to bypass each switch one at a time till the problem goes away.

Weather you are up to this depends upon how well you understand circuitry and if you can read a circuit diagram.

Thanks. I will try this.

George

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check the output of the alternator.
Electric PTOs gobble up 3 to 6 amps so will run down the battery.
If the battery gets low enough the fuel solenoid will close down and shut off fuel supply to the carb so causing the engine to stop.

GMcKinney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem found and corrected. It was a loose earth wire on the engine. The engine mount bolt was loose and not allowing the earth wire to make a good connection.

Thanks very much.

George

CCR@YC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem found and corrected. It was a loose earth wire on the engine. The engine mount bolt was loose and not allowing the earth wire to make a good connection.

Thanks very much.

George

What are where is the "earth wire" located on the engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those who speak the "Queens english" call the negative path earth
Them rebellious upstarts call it a ground.
Neither is correct as it is the "Return or negative return "

helomech

Threads
Those who speak the "Queens english" call the negative path earth
Them rebellious upstarts call it a ground.
Neither is correct as it is the "Return or negative return "

LOL, never heard it called that. Worked with some British and Australian folks before. Never knew communicating would be that different. Had no clue bits meant parts, torch meant flashlight and so on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LOL, never heard it called that. Worked with some British and Australian folks before. Never knew communicating would be that different. Had no clue bits meant parts, torch meant flashlight and so on.

The best example of that is the biggest selling brand of sticky tape down here used the called Durex so Durex & sticky tape became interchangable
The biggest selling brand of condoms in the UK was also called Durex and again that became the generic term for them.

My sister, ( not a bad looker by any means in her youth ) working in the UK in the early 60's ran out of sticky tape so in a loud clear voiced called out .
"Any one got some spare Durex "
She said almost every male leaped across the floor diving into their wallets while most of the women left the room.
She latter left that job never having been able to overcome the instant character judgements that caused .