Hustler Raptor SD 60

jaredschwartz

Threads
I just picked up a brand new Hustler Raptor SD 60. When i got it home I started look closer at it as I was excited to have a new mower. I noticed surface corrosion or oxidation all over the aluminum Kawasaki engine and starter plus on the aluminum hydros. Is this normal? The machine only had 1.6 hrs on it so I know its brand new. Also I took it out on my driveway to play with it because its to wet around my house to mow and I went to engage the pto at 1/2 and full throttle and the engine would die about 6 out of 10 times. Is this normal? I was under the impression that Hustler was the best. Will the dealer take this thing back since I have not mowed with it yet and if so should I even take it back or am I being too paranoid??

mko1024

Forum Newbie
Threads
Doesn't sound normal to me. I would definitely call the dealer and ask them about it. I have a 48 and can start my deck nearly at idle without stalling. Is the deck belt routed correctly and do the spindles turn easy?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oxidation on bare aluminum castings happens quickly particularly in damp storage and climates.
The engine may have a governor/throttle cable problem or something else, or may just need some more run time.
What is the state of charge of the battery?
Does the fuel filter show any signs of water in it?
Fuel tank full?

jaredschwartz

Threads
Doesn't sound normal to me. I would definitely call the dealer and ask them about it. I have a 48 and can start my deck nearly at idle without stalling. Is the deck belt routed correctly and do the spindles turn easy?

Thanks for the reply. The deck belt looks routed correctly according to diagram on mower deck and appears to be routed correctly to my observance. I would have to take belt off to check if spindles turn easy due to the clutch brake right?

jaredschwartz

Threads
Oxidation on bare aluminum castings happens quickly particularly in damp storage and climates.
The engine may have a governor/throttle cable problem or something else, or may just need some more run time.
What is the state of charge of the battery?
Does the fuel filter show any signs of water in it?
Fuel tank full?

Thanks for the reply. Its a shame that the aluminum has corrosion on a brand new machine. I wish I would have checked it over better at the dealer but since it was brand new I figured everything was fine. Should I just live with it? Also about the mower stalling when I engaged the PTO: Some times it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Today it stalled about 4-5 attempts in a row in all throttle positions and then it started working fine again. I did talk to a friend and he metioned deck position, so I moved the deck to a different position and it worked, then a tried engaging pto again in that same position and it stalled in every throttle position. I have only had this mower for a day and have not been able to mow with it yet due to the rain. So ive just been playing with it. Maybe it just needs to be broke in. Battery is good, no signs of water in fuel filter, tank is full.

jaredschwartz

Threads
Here are some pics of the corrosion

Attachments

• IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 47

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
From looking at your pics, there is no doubt that your machine was stored in a very damp environment, particularly seeing the starter motor which has a cadmium plated steel housing.
Many dealers don't have covered or closed storage areas for new machines, they leave them in the shipment condition and stack them up outside.
It is your decision as to how to approach this with the selling dealer, but for sure I would go there and talk with them.
Is your dealer close to the ocean?
Is there a possibility that they had flooding in their area recently?
Are able to get under the machine and look at the electric clutch to check it for rust and or corrosion?

turboawd

Threads
was your machine a floor model? it may have sat outside in a few rain storms. but the corrosion is purely cosmetic. it wont harm the mower at all.

as for the pto issue, do you have the choke completely off? a fueling issue could cause the engine to stumble. and once again, was this machine a floor model? if it sat a while, it may just need fresh fuel.

jaredschwartz

Threads
From looking at your pics, there is no doubt that your machine was stored in a very damp environment, particularly seeing the starter motor which has a cadmium plated steel housing.
Many dealers don't have covered or closed storage areas for new machines, they leave them in the shipment condition and stack them up outside.
It is your decision as to how to approach this with the selling dealer, but for sure I would go there and talk with them.
Is your dealer close to the ocean?
Is there a possibility that they had flooding in their area recently?
Are able to get under the machine and look at the electric clutch to check it for rust and or corrosion?

Im in Sarasota FL. The dealer is probably 10 miles or less away from the ocean and it rains a lot here, im wondering if they stored it next to fertilizer?? My uncle just purchased a Hustler X-One from there and he said there is absolutely no corrosion on his whatsoever.

jaredschwartz

Threads
was your machine a floor model? it may have sat outside in a few rain storms. but the corrosion is purely cosmetic. it wont harm the mower at all.

as for the pto issue, do you have the choke completely off? a fueling issue could cause the engine to stumble. and once again, was this machine a floor model? if it sat a while, it may just need fresh fuel.

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the salesman today on the phone and he did say that they had that mower for 3 months. Even so, is this acceptable for a brand new mower?? As for the PTO yes I had the choke completely off and when I engaged the pto with full throttle the engine sounds like its running great with no sputtering at all so I don't see it being a fuel issue but I could be wrong, maybe need to mow with it and see how it does??