in need of a engine

billkater

Threads
I am looking for a good place to buy a 5 hp horizontal shaft motor for a tiller. Any good online stores I should check out?

Thanks

Bill

noma

Threads
Hi BK Brown

You might laugh at this one put my father-en law, and my self put a greyhound engine 6.5 hp horizontal shaft from Habor Frieght and have not had any problems with them. My father-en law has a walk behind tiller with the tiller in the back and its self perpelled with no problems its on it's two or three year he just uses it for his garden but has a pretty big one he's retired. They look like a honda ,so i call them a want to be honda. The one i have is on a front tine tiller and it to heavy of a engine, its very hard to control. The engine that came off of it was a 3 or 3.5 hp so this is to big and heavy got good horsepower run half throttle. Another bad part is with the new engines that have the auto shut-off in the oil if you tip the engine to far it shuts off right a way kind of a pain. I think sometimes they have them on sale for a little over $100 bucks reg price is like $160.00.Depenting on how much you use this thing might be a way to go, i don"t use mine much maybe 3 or 4 times a year for one hour each time so i didn't want to put much money in it. Got tried of pulling the pull string on the old engine and this one will start in one or two pulls.

cottom

Threads
I am looking for a good place to buy a 5 hp horizontal shaft motor for a tiller. Any good online stores I should check out?

Thanks

Bill

Bill, I buy my new engines from the local farm store, Rural King which is home-based in Illinois.

tugboatphil

Threads
Also Northern Tool. They keep several common hp/shaft engines in store, but offer more online and/or catalog.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also Northern Tool. They keep several common hp/shaft engines in store, but offer more online and/or catalog.

Never seen an NT store but their catalog is really extensive. A 5.5 hp Briggs runs from $210 to $300 depending on shaft type. A 5.5 hp Honda is about $200-$300. Shipping is about $24 for UPS. Have never purchased large items from them, but numerous small things, fair prices, good service.

Michael

Threads
Too bad you are so far away, I have a 5hp B&S from a rear tine, top notch engine, the gear box went for a KA KA, he paid me for my time, & left behind.
Michael:frown:

Mac 624

Threads
Gas Engines - Engines & Generators :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry, but I would stay away from this chinese junk...even as they are on sell for less then 100 bucks...they even are not worth it.

We have tried some chinese machinery...and the quality was bad.

I would follow the link to

Rural King - America's Farm & Home Store

they seem to have good quality to an acceptable price.

Indeed, I do not like the Briggs on a tiller for any reason. We use ACME/Lombardini and ILO...but a Briggs is always better...then this junk made by yellow dwarfs, which have the IQ of a fence pole!!

Last edited:

Michael

Threads
Bud you got problems, don't bring them here