Repairs Hydro pulls to one side when going to neutral with foward speed control lever

abrahah1

Threads
  • / Hydro pulls to one side when going to neutral with foward speed control lever
Bert, thanks for the input, I am now leaning as you say, uneven wear on the motors as they are indeed 20 years old, and I have replaced and or adjusted steering linkage along with new oil the hydros.
Today I just noticed the machine needs tail wheel bearings, but I think you are correct about the motors.
Will post again after bearings installed.

Bert, off subject. There is a 1998 unknown hours diesel walker for sale in my area for 1,200.00 US/ 1,700.00 AUD, it burns oil and blows blue smoke, it got a new radiator and starter. The seller states he refills with oil every two weeks.
I suspect with a new radiator, the machine may have overheated several times, causing the blue smoke condition.
Do you think it maybe 1; glazed cylinder walls, or 2; bad valves or 3; bad rings?
Hopefully I can put in an additive to rid it of burning oil.
This is risky to me as a rebuild is around 2,500.00 plus USD. and I don't think a 1998 is worth that much more than 5,000.00.
Thanks in advance for your opinion. Harry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Hydro pulls to one side when going to neutral with foward speed control lever
Bert, off subject. There is a 1998 unknown hours diesel walker for sale in my area for 1,200.00 US/ 1,700.00 AUD, it burns oil and blows blue smoke, it got a new radiator and starter. The seller states he refills with oil every two weeks.
I suspect with a new radiator, the machine may have overheated several times, causing the blue smoke condition.
Do you think it maybe 1; glazed cylinder walls, or 2; bad valves or 3; bad rings?
Hopefully I can put in an additive to rid it of burning oil.
This is risky to me as a rebuild is around 2,500.00 plus USD. and I don't think a 1998 is worth that much more than 5,000.00.
Thanks in advance for your opinion. Harry

IMHO Walkers are always worth repairing.
They are very well built and quite robust.
As for values in doing so my view will be skewed by local pricing.

As a rule of thumb, nothing you put into an engine will fix anything, just mask it and allow it to get worse.
Look around the second hand market. The engine will be used in other applications and there are most likely good used ones available.
We just replaced the deisel engine in a 1971 IH skid steer with one from a 1986 Mazda ute.
Took a bit od fiddleing around but a rebuild kit for the original engine was $ 1800 & the whole ute was $ 500.
We got $ 600 by parting it out and the scrappie paid us $ 20 for what was left over.
Using that much oil says rings.
The quick & dirty test is to get some one to throttle up then down.
If the oil is worse on the throttle down then valve stem seals are the prime suspect.
If it smokes worse under acceleration then worn rings go to the top of the list.

In either case I would not bother trying to do a diagnosis on the engine, wear on the mower itself is the hardest to fix, flogged out holes that have to be welded up & redrilled are a lit more of a problem than a set of rings & bearings.
So if the wear in the mower is not too bad go for it however if everything is sloppy walk away.

abrahah1

Threads
IMHO Walkers are always worth repairing.
They are very well built and quite robust.
As for values in doing so my view will be skewed by local pricing.

As a rule of thumb, nothing you put into an engine will fix anything, just mask it and allow it to get worse.
Look around the second hand market. The engine will be used in other applications and there are most likely good used ones available.
We just replaced the deisel engine in a 1971 IH skid steer with one from a 1986 Mazda ute.
Took a bit od fiddleing around but a rebuild kit for the original engine was $ 1800 & the whole ute was $ 500.
We got $ 600 by parting it out and the scrappie paid us $ 20 for what was left over.
Using that much oil says rings.
The quick & dirty test is to get some one to throttle up then down.
If the oil is worse on the throttle down then valve stem seals are the prime suspect.
If it smokes worse under acceleration then worn rings go to the top of the list.

In either case I would not bother trying to do a diagnosis on the engine, wear on the mower itself is the hardest to fix, flogged out holes that have to be welded up & redrilled are a lit more of a problem than a set of rings & bearings.
So if the wear in the mower is not too bad go for it however if everything is sloppy walk away.

Just from the pictures I noticed (did not see in person) the deck gearbox cover missing, hour meter not working, amp meter glass cracked, top piece of Donaldson filter missing, flip up deck latch missing.
The owner further States that the deck may need "sheet metal" work in the future, he has been jumping the solenoid for 2 years to start, and a belt is slipping. All these visual problems without even looking under the bonnet.
I can live with all the slop with the exception of the blue smoke. This appears to be low maintained machine at least for the prior 2 years (solenoid jumping) if not longer.
Thanks again. PS did you see my prior post?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.
Good to see you got it fixed.
I don't come here looking for accolades so rarely post a responce once some one has got their problem sorted.
But thank you just the same.
I am here to learn like every one else and expand my "experience" by learing from other peoples problems.