anyone ever try running double blades on their machine?

turboawd

Threads
  • / anyone ever try running double blades on their machine?
as in mounting 2 blades in an X orientation?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen it. I just don't see a reasoning for it because the mower was designed to cut with one blade so I just don't think it would cut right. I say try it and let us know? The only thing would be make sure your balance and alignment is good on the second blade. Also think safety.

zmister11

Threads
as in mounting 2 blades in an X orientation?

That's how my push mower blade looks. It's a snapper with the ninja blade. But I wouldnt dare try to that on a zero turn. But if it works out let us know lol

kraky

Threads
Deeres first shot at a mulching deck used two blades. It didn't work good unless conditions were perfect.....ie perfectly dry and cutting very often. Later they came out w/a single mulching blade that actually did better than the 2 stacked.
After that came the freedom deck that was basically two "domes" side by side. Sort of like two 21" mulching pushmowers side by side under the tractor. I had one for years and it did pretty darn good as long as you knew its limitations.....but it also ran a single blade per spindle.
I can't see anything but trouble trying to stack 2 blades in a hustler type deck....just saying.
What is your mower doing that you're trying to fix?

turboawd

Threads
i use my raptors sd 54 to cut empty lots. the grass is usually tall when i cut. i tried many blades and the gators work best so far. i think i'll try it next time. maybe a standard blade stacked on top of a gator.

kraky

Threads
I think all us raptor SD owners know the culprit is the tiny discharge opening. Just not good for getting out large volumes of material. That said, Google "Honda mulching" blades and you'll see their "quadracut" set up. Kind of interesting to see the different blades stacked. The top one looks pretty light wt. I think people who own these Honda like them.
Gotta give you credit for being a pioneer....you have bigger kahunas than me! Good luck...be careful..let us know how it works.

Homer1

Threads
Dixie chopper has their "X-blade" technology they have been using on their ZTR's. I kinda liked the theory. The blades are curved in a design that they will seat together the right way when mounted and not move. I wouldn't ever just stick 2 blades on top of each other unless they were secured somehow. Either pined or welded, etc.. Balance might be an issue too, how do you balance that once it's welded..

I know some push mowers are using them. A friend of mine just bought a driven Honda, he said it looked like it had a 2 blade design. Loves the cut.

gabowman

Threads
Nope, never tried it and wont. My blades are turning WAY TOO FAST to try something like that. Just doesnt sound safe to me.

577jersey

Threads
I think all us raptor SD owners know the culprit is the tiny discharge opening. Just not good for getting out large volumes of material. That said, Google "Honda mulching" blades and you'll see their "quadracut" set up. Kind of interesting to see the different blades stacked. The top one looks pretty light wt. I think people who own these Honda like them.
Gotta give you credit for being a pioneer....you have bigger kahunas than me! Good luck...be careful..let us know how it works.
Thats what they make a 4-1/2"angle grinder for :)