Echo vs STIHL trimmer line lenght

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gees, I am agreeing with Ric again ( must be getting old ) If you need much more than 10" of cut then you might look at your procedures . Mowing is faster & better with a mower and trimming should be kept to a minimum. I would be unlucky to trim much more that 3" to 4". Even on the steep banks it i still a lot faster with a mower, even a tiny 16" one.

We cut many places that a mower can't get into. Fence corners and other places.

Cemeteries are also a place where there's a lot of trimming with a string trimmer. Therefore the more string out the bigger swath. The bigger swath the faster you are through.

I have a couple of guys who run weedeaters for me that are very fast and very efficient with them.

There are many places where one has to trim more than 10".

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am talking about cut swath. I just feel the STIHL doesn't give as much as the ECHO. I like the lenght on the ECHO

OK, The Echo SRM 225 has a 17" cut swath, which is 6-1/2 inches from head to string cutter x 2 + 4 inch head = 17 inch cut swath.

I think some of the Stihl's, like the FS 55 has same 17 inch cut swath. (I think).

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am talking about cut swath. I just feel the STIHL doesn't give as much as the ECHO. I like the length on the ECHO

Really? Echo has a 17" cutting swath. Stihl has a 16.5 and you can tell a difference in 1/4 inch of string. WOT on the Echo is 8 to 10000, the Stihl is 10.500 cut off.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That isn't a big difference. I guess I do feel the difference tho.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That isn't a big difference. I guess I do feel the difference tho.

I doubt you can feel the difference in a quarter inch of line length. The difference you feel is in the engine power making one model feel shorter or longer than the other. It's the same feeling you get by changing line diameter or line swath, the shorter your line the less power your engine has to use to spin the trimmer head and the more line you have out the less effective the cut especially with the smaller engine because it can't compensate.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, with the ECHO, I feel it that it has a bigger swath because it isn't as strong as opposed to my STIHL that cuts effortlessly? Am I right or weong?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kinda depends on the Echo model you are speaking of. The SRM225 has a 21.2cc

The Stihl has a long time proven 27.4cc engine they use in many.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, with the ECHO, I feel it that it has a bigger swath because it isn't as strong as opposed to my STIHL that cuts effortlessly? Am I right or wrong?

Basically yes. Thing is and I don't care what make trimmer you use, it's impossible to tell the difference in a quarter inch of line. You can measure your line if you wish, it doesn't make a difference because the second you start using the trimmer on anything you use line and it shortens and in a very short period of time your bumping the head and extending line and you don't know how much line is left out when you bump, you don't know how much line is being extended so you don't know how much line is out at any given time.

There to many variables involved to tell line length swath like the type of line your using? Is it round, is it square or how about star shape. What size are you using, 080, 095, or 0.105. What make line? Stihl, Echo, Gator line that's reinforced? All and more can make a difference in how a trimmer feels. Ever wonder why you can take Echo line and use it on a Stihl trimmer and go through it twice as fast as the Stihl line?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kinda depends on the Echo model you are speaking of. The SRM225 has a 21.2cc

The Stihl has a long time proven 27.4cc engine they use in many.

Actually it's a 27.2 cc and everything Stihl has in there residential line up is a 27.2 cc engine. Stihl makes like seven different Commercial engines ranging from 27.2 to 37.7 cc. Echo has only three a 21.2, 25.4 and there largest being a 28.2 I believe, and yes engine can make a big difference.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, 27.2cc. for Stihl. Stihl my neighbor has, I used a couple times was a FS 55, hard on gas.

But can't beat Echo & Shindaiwa warranty of 5 years & lifetime on drive shaft & ign coil pack.