misses/sputters unless choke is 100%

Mschott

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a hustler fastrak with a Honda 18 hp v twin gxv610 and mis summer it after starting it I couldn't push the choke off or it would start missing and running rough. First thought was fuel so I pulled the fuel filter off (it was clean). Pulled the carb off and inspected did not go through it as I didn't have a kit (it looked clean and fine). Checked flow of fuel through lines (all were good). i pulled the plus next and 1 plug was black as coal(running rich) the other looked fine. ( at that point I kinda ruled out fuel due to the fact one was running fine while the other is not and the carb does not separate per cylinder the intake does a couple inches after the carb) I put a new set of plugs in and tried again. Still it would intermittently have to keep choke at 100% to run smoothly. Then a week or so later it started running great again. Now fast forward 2 months and it's intermittently doing the same thing. And the one plug is black and fouled out. My next assumption would be ignition but I have never had an ignition coil sat up intermittently like that. Some back ground on maintenance it is an 04 model with roughly 250hrs with just routine maintenance other than 2 yrs ago I had one ignition coil go bad and it was just dead. At the time I went with an aftermarket coil and after replacing just the one coil I hadn't had any issues until mid summer. i called a local shop who said it could be a lifter, ignition or fuel. If it were a lifter it would be all the time so I can't imagine the being it. He also said they don't ever replace just one coil. They always replace both coils and the small transformer/transistor (can't remember what he called it) that both coils are hooked to. He also said they never use aftermarket parts.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any recommendations with out spending 300+ on new Honda coils