Replacing Mandrel Housing on Ariens Riding Mower

Jenkies

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of my mandrel housing's has broken off the deck of my Ariens: A175BG42, 936046. I have found the replacement part, (part # 187281). BUT, my question is: how do I get the mandrel spindle shaft assembly out of the broken housing? I'm assuming I can still use this spindle assembly with the new housing? Attached pictures are of the broken housing with shaft still in place. And yes, it was a GIANT rock, and it did have legs causing it to appear suddenly. :wink:
Thanks for any help with this!

Attachments

• IMG_7050.jpg
    IMG_7050.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7052.jpg
    IMG_7052.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7053.jpg
    IMG_7053.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like you could pull it out. Did the new casting come with the bearing?

Jenkies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just ordered the new part. It won't come with a new bearing.

Jenkies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the new part ordered!

-Traci

Attachments

• mandrel housing.jpg
    mandrel housing.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 22

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looks to me that the spindle should be tapped out from the pulley end, or tapped up from its operational postion.
The spindle will move through the bearing near the pulley and will exit the housing with the top bearing in tow. Get it?
You will need to secure the old housing and tap on the the threade end of the spindle, of course place a nut on the spindle and tap with a hammer
The only other scenario is if the spindle is in two pieces, the joint being in the housing between the 2 bearings... not likely.
Typically the whole spindle, bearing, housing assembly is replaced, but typically the assembly is shorter and more robust than what you have.
Remember you can take both pieces to a machine shop and ask them to repair it. As they will have a press, I'm assuming you don't have a press.
I have no direct experience with this particular assembly
Oh yea after you get the spindle and top bearing out. Tap out the bottom bearing from the top with a drift then reassemble in the reverse on the new housing.

jeff

Threads
I have done lots of these. Pretty straight forward, all parts can be tapped or drifted out of the old housing. A plastic mallet is the best thing to use.

Jenkies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, everyone, for the advice! Looks like I'll be able to do this job with all the help you have provided. I'll keep you updated on my progress! The part is going to take a few days to get here.

-Traci

dodgefate

Threads
DOnt know if you have done the repair yet but here is my advice after doing a ton on my huskey. After you take the pully off take off the small washer that was under it, if you loose it you got to order another one and the pully will bind up when putting it on. Looks like you have gotten it out ok. NExt step, put the nut that held the pully on the shaft. make sure it is flush with the shaft and smack it out with a hammer. New one shold come with the lower bering but not the upper. Use a drift pin or punch and tap it from the inside of the mandrel housing to get it out paying close attention to strike on the edges of the bearing. Ps. Sorry for the horrible spelling