After Market Parts

jimshoe52

Threads
I have a TB30R riding mower, 30". This is my first Troy-Bilt (brand new) so I'm full of questions.

I'm a little confused regarding the model and serial number of the engine; it makes no sense; this is what I recorded off the engine: (EU: e4*97/68SN4G1*2010/26*0248*01 & ACN 004 873572). I can't even tell who made the engine (i.e. Briggs, Kohler, etc.), there's no name plate. Can anyone tell me who made the engine and the brake down of these numbers. I'd like to know the model number and serial number for registration purposes.

Also, can synthetic oil be used in lieu of regular oil on this mower?

I don't live close by to a Troy-Bilt dealer so I'd like to know if anyone would be able to tell me what other name brand parts for plugs, air filter, belts & blades, etc are compatible to this mower. Perhaps someone has a cross reference for these parts?

Another question I have is the mower came with a mulching cover. Do I use the same blade that came on the mower? If there's a mulching blade it's not specified in the owner's manual parts list, just a mower blade. So I'm under the impression that this blade can be used for both applications - not sure. Could use some help on this as well.
Thanks in advance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The numbers you listed are the EPA registration numbers which don't mean anything to anybody other than them, and I am not even sure they could tell you what they mean. Now on to the model number, There should be a 2 by 3 inch sticker under the seat with a model and serial number on it. the engine will have the model type and code stamped into the valve cover or on a flap over the the muffler, or stamped into a piece of sheet metal surrounding the cylinder if a Briggs. There should be a model and specification number on the blower housing, or some models will have it stamped into to the back of the block if Kohler. The MTD engine will have a sticker low on the side of the engine block.

With further checking it appears you have the MTD 4P90JUC engine. Most parts will not be available aftermarket, mainly due to being newer parts. The good news is any Yardman,Yardmachine, Troybilt, or Cub Cadet dealer should be able to get any parts that you need. They are using a 3-1 blade, it is designed for side discharge, bagging, or mulching.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

This is a loaded question on this forum. My answer is yes you can use synthetic oil in it, its what I use in mine. I use synthetic oil in everything with a engine that I own. It also gives you extended oil service hours. I find very few agree with me on this forum for reasons I don't know, so do what make you feel comfortable.

jimshoe52

Threads
The numbers you listed are the EPA registration numbers which don't mean anything to anybody other than them, and I am not even sure they could tell you what they mean. Now on to the model number, There should be a 2 by 3 inch sticker under the seat with a model and serial number on it. the engine will have the model type and code stamped into the valve cover or on a flap over the the muffler, or stamped into a piece of sheet metal surrounding the cylinder if a Briggs. There should be a model and specification number on the blower housing, or some models will have it stamped into to the back of the block if Kohler. The MTD engine will have a sticker low on the side of the engine block.

With further checking it appears you have the MTD 4P90JUC engine. Most parts will not be available aftermarket, mainly due to being newer parts. The good news is any Yardman,Yardmachine, Troybilt, or Cub Cadet dealer should be able to get any parts that you need. They are using a 3-1 blade, it is designed for side discharge, bagging, or mulching.

Thanks so much for your response it was most helpful! Really appreciated the input.

While I'm at it perhaps you could help me with something else. I took it out for the first time today. Everything was going well when for some reason it stopped. I went to restart it and "nothing", won't even crank. I checked the fuse, the discharge chute (w/assoc'd limit switch, reset everything back to default position according to the manual and tried starting the engine and again nothing. Tech support said to check the limit switch on the clutch/brake. I couldn't find it as it appears it might be buried in the frame some where. I'm just by myself on this! Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps someone has run into this problem before? I'm thinking it might be something very simple that I've overlooked - ??????

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When starting make sure the clutch/brake is fully depressed, and also make sure the deck is disengaged. This is a common issue when a mower suddenly dies. People forget to disengage the deck.

enigma-2

Threads
I had simular questions on my last tractor. The Briggs manual said yes, my dealer said no, so we called Briggs and talked to engineering. The answer we got was, use regular oil (not synthetic) during breaking to allow the rings to seat. After that it's ok to switch to synthetic.

Basically run regular oil for the first season, then switch. (The engineer stated he didn't care what the owners manual stated, don't run synthetic during breaking as it doesn't allow the rings to set properly).

Just bought a new Simplicity and will run dino juice for 2017 and then switch to a blend next year.