Set points on a Kohler 14Hp engine

kennnh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to know how to set points on a 14Hp Kohler engine,

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow points huh? The last time I installed points was on a 66 F150. 30+ years ago.
I found this on the internet for your motor.
"Points have to be adjusted after you put them in. Install the points but only tighten the hold-down screw finger tight, at the top of the points mounting bracket is a little v, with a screw driver the proper width move the bracket till the points open. Now rotate the crankshaft by hand-KEY OFF- till the points are at the widest apart and adjust to .020". Should have a very slight drag on the feeler gauge when it's moved back and forth. You're done, put the cover back on".

how to gap points - Tractors Forum - GardenWeb

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is tbe starting point for setting points on the older kohlers. you need to locate the timing mark on the flywheel and line it up with the small inspection hole in the side of the blower housing. you can either use a multimeter to set the correct timing by small adjustment in the points to find the moment you lose continuity when the timing mark lines up with the center of the inspection hole or mark the timing mark and use a timing light while making adjustments to the points when timed fully tighten the point screw then install the cover.

cottom

Threads
True, the point gap sets the timing for the engine.