BadBoy Mower Cut

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own two mowers. 2002 Dixie Chopper 25HP 50" and 2011 Badboy AOS 35 HP diesel 60". I mow my personal property for a total of 12 acres. I am not a paid poster nor have any dog in the hunt other than I own it.

I want to weigh in and express my findings. A lot has been posted concerning BadBoy mowers (read them all before buying) and I can agree with most. The quality of the mechanical structure and ride is beyond words. A very well built, powerful machine.

That being said, why does one purchase a mower? How about cutting grass? There is hype being posted and I want to clearly state the quality of the BadBoy cut. There is no comparison between my Dixe and the BadBoy cut.

Believe all the postings you will but the BadBoy cannot touch the Dixie cut and I find it sub par for the cost of such a machine. Possibly the machine can be mechanically modified to get a better shave, but should a buyer have to modify engineering to get the cut right? Not with this price tag. ($14000). I have had the machine for about 3 months and have reverted back to the Dixie as the primary mower.

Now I need to decide to re-engineer the deck or try to get my money back. I paid cash. Dismally disappointed in the mower due to the VERY poor cut. You cannot get a close cut at all due to rear deck chains and front wheel limitations. Even the blades are about 3/4" above the leading front edge of the deck. That plus your deck elevation will be your closest cut. The space distance between the blades themselves is the first noticeable uneven cutting leaving raised strips of grass.

All for $14000. You want truth about this machine, just ask me not the pumpers.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sorry to hear that !:thumbdown:
I am wondering if you have made this known to the people at BadBoy ?
You are right, a machine that has that price tag should have a perfect cut.

I have no dog in the hunt either as I own a Ventrac.

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response.

I have not contacted BadBoy yet but will begin a communication today. I am torn between fixing the problem myself or turning it back over to them. I know the dealer cannot help. He is simply after the sale.

Except for the cut, I really like the machine. Very comfortable and well made......

BUT IT DON"T CUT GRASS!....lol....

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Jetblast

Threads
It sounds like you're cutting your grass very low. Have you tried cutting it at around a 3" height? If so, does it do any better?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interested - has BadBoy done anything to help your situation ?

robert

Threads
chappy, not to be a wiseguy but what would you rather have; a BB that does not cut so good or an Exmark, that you bought new - used once and that does not cut at all ?

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have enjoyed and appreciated all the responses.

I want a low cut. 1 inch or less. Dixie Chopper does this extremely well and have had the mower since 2002.

Dealer wants a shot at it and I will let him try. I simply hate the back and forth routine. Dealer thinks deck is out of level due to deck collision/jarring of some kind? Okay...... the BB is that sensitive? Uh-Oh. I thought it was the best built machine to stand up to the rigors of what it was made for.

I am a control system engineer, not well versed in the mechanical side and do question a lot when logic doesn't fit. The whole idea just seems.... not right. Could just be me, but it just looks like the machine cannot do what I am asking of it.

That being a 1 inch or less, even cut. No stripes. If it cannot, it is what it is and it is not the machine for me. I know somebody would love to have it. Dealer gets it back.

Jetblast

Threads
1" or less is an extremely low cut, more in greenskeeper rotary blade mower territory. I'm not too surprised that the Bad Boy won't do that well, but I am surprised that the Dixie Chopper will.

Nevertheless, Bad Boy and most other manufacturers advertise their products as being able to cut from 1-4 or 1-5 inches. If they say they can do a 1" cut, I guess they should do a 1" cut or expect to be called out on it from time to time.

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep the Dixie Chopper can. I had to adjust the deck to specifically get it. The adjustment range/angle was there. The BB does not have the adjustment range/angle to do it. Plus , the blades appear too far apart with a half closed in blade operating section. The Dixie blade cavities are about 1/3 of the circle and blades almost touch.

A BB sales rep contacted me and offered support and am very pleased at this. Rep indicates no problem with cutting issues known.

Have arranged to get it back to the dealer for a go at it. We'll see from there.