BadBoy Mower Cut

Gregster

Threads
I had the same issue with mine and similar solution.
I was leaving strips, and had constant build up under the deck, and engine bogging down.
I have the mulch kit on and a friend told me to get the gator blades, which was bad for my particular mower.
I contacted customer service, and followed they're advice.
I put the bad boy true mulch blades on. They are heavy blades. Way thicker and longer as well.
The result was perfection. Even at transport speed, no strips, no bogging, no grass build up above the blade anymore or scraping the deck down after each mowing.
Love this machine, my friends say I act like its my Harley!

jamminloud

Threads
I had the same issue with mine and similar solution.
I was leaving strips, and had constant build up under the deck, and engine bogging down.
I have the mulch kit on and a friend told me to get the gator blades, which was bad for my particular mower.
I contacted customer service, and followed they're advice.
I put the bad boy true mulch blades on. They are heavy blades. Way thicker and longer as well.
The result was perfection. Even at transport speed, no strips, no bogging, no grass build up above the blade anymore or scraping the deck down after each mowing.
Love this machine, my friends say I act like its my Harley!

You mean like these?

038-6060-00 Bad Boy 60" High Lift Fusion Blade - S & H Farm Supply

My Bad Boy compact diesel manual calls for blade number 038-6060-00. That is just a high lift notched fusion blade and not a mulcher. I don't know if you're referring to 038-6000-00 as "true bad boy mulcher blades", but the only thing I could find are the Oregon made 396-740 Gator G6 mulching blades which appear to be the thickest and heaviest.

Bad Boy 60" Gator Mulching Blade 396-740 - S & H Farm Supply

I think I'll go back to doubles this fall with a new set of these G6 gators and my existing bahia blades and see what happens....:smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You mean like these?

My Bad Boy compact diesel manual calls for blade number 038-6060-00. That is just a high lift notched fusion blade and not a mulcher. I don't know if you're referring to 038-6000-00 as "true bad boy mulcher blades", but the only thing I could find are the Oregon made 396-740 Gator G6 mulching blades which appear to be the thickest and heaviest.

I think I'll go back to doubles this fall with a new set of these G6 gators and my existing bahia blades and see what happens....:smile:
jamminloud,
Still sounds like you have had to spend a lot of time(like most of the other Bad Boy owners in this thread) to get the performance(cut) you expected for your hard-earned money. Do these compact diesel models have the "Armortek5" deck that I looked at on the 31hp gas-powered 54" Outlaw model??? I was very impressed with the "looks" of that heavy 5 gauge deck, but from what I'm hearing heavy-duty doesn't neccesarily equal quality:0(
If I had spent the $7,000 bucks the dealer wanted for that BB and had gotten a "less than golf course" cut results I would have been fit to be tied!!! I am sooooooo glad I ended up buying the Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ(for several hundred dollars less "out the door" than the Bad Boy)!!! I only have 4.5 hours on it and have mowed my yard 5 times, each time it looked like a professional landscape company had mowed it(that golf course look I had craved).

jamminloud

Threads
jamminloud,
Still sounds like you have had to spend a lot of time(like most of the other Bad Boy owners in this thread) to get the performance(cut) you expected for your hard-earned money. Do these compact diesel models have the "Armortek5" deck that I looked at on the 31hp gas-powered 54" Outlaw model??? I was very impressed with the "looks" of that heavy 5 gauge deck, but from what I'm hearing heavy-duty doesn't neccesarily equal quality:0(
If I had spent the $7,000 bucks the dealer wanted for that BB and had gotten a "less than golf course" cut results I would have been fit to be tied!!! I am sooooooo glad I ended up buying the Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ(for several hundred dollars less "out the door" than the Bad Boy)!!! I only have 4.5 hours on it and have mowed my yard 5 times, each time it looked like a professional landscape company had mowed it(that golf course look I had craved).

I don't remember reading anything in my manuals about the deck being an 'Armortek5'.

All I can say is, if the dealer said "you can have your money back or a new machine" ... I'd take the money. I'm a farmer and the son of a farmer. I think I know a design problem when I see one.

My dealers remedy was to lower the rear of the deck 1/2" lower than the front. No joy. And not what BB recommends. Every country boy knows you lead into the cut with a lower deck angle in the front. Rear angle puts unwanted load on the machine.

Gregster

Threads
You mean like these?

You are right, they are not true mulching blades after all but, are actually the notched high lift fusion blades. They are cutting so beautifully on my unit. My manual doesn't mention armor tech 5 either. Curious to what year your CD is? Mine is a 2010. I also increased belt tension for deck and hydraulic.

jamminloud

Threads
You are right, they are not true mulching blades after all but, are actually the notched high lift fusion blades. They are cutting so beautifully on my unit. My manual doesn't mention armor tech 5 either. Curious to what year your CD is? Mine is a 2010. I also increased belt tension for deck and hydraulic.

Mine is either an '09 or a 10. I can't remember off the top of my head...

But the decks have not changed any. I ask the dealer often if BB has modified the CD deck. So far, nope. I switched to Exmark blades. Same 20.5 length, but if you stand the Exmark Oregon made blade next to the BB recommended blade, they are just a tad longer. It made a big difference in the cut on my machine. Still not perfection, but much better.

Are you cutting any bahia grass, rye, or nutgrass? Like I said, Augustine will cut clean and quick with my machine. But anything tough gets two passes, at opposing angles. :smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Gregster/Jamminloud,
Below is a link to my local Bad Boy dealer's BB webpage that describes the Armortek5 deck. There are also some pricing for the 2012 models and the ability to click on one of the models(click on it's picture) which will take you to the Bad Boy website for that model. The link for the Outlaw-Commercial has even more information about the Armortek5 deck design on it(if you download it's spec sheet pdf). My dealer doesn't carry the Compact Diesel models, so there's no information on their website for them, but once you click on one of the models they sell and it takes you to the Bad Boy website, you can find all Bad Boy models from there(at the bottom of the page). In fact, I clicked on the Compact Diesel and indeed it states that it(the 2012 model) has the Armortek5 deck!!!

Bad Boy Mowers

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine is either an '09 or a 10. I can't remember off the top of my head...

But the decks have not changed any. I ask the dealer often if BB has modified the CD deck. So far, nope. I switched to Exmark blades. Same 20.5 length, but if you stand the Exmark Oregon made blade next to the BB recommended blade, they are just a tad longer. It made a big difference in the cut on my machine. Still not perfection, but much better.

Are you cutting any bahia grass, rye, or nutgrass? Like I said, Augustine will cut clean and quick with my machine. But anything tough gets two passes, at opposing angles. :smile:
Jamminloud,
I did notice that the current 2012 Compact Diesel models(and for that matter all models that reference the Armortek5 deck) specifically mention that it is a "New re-designed deck". If indeed the deck has been re-designed since you purchased your's and user Gregster's 2009/2010 models(and corrected the cut quality problems you are experiencing), if I were you I would contact Bad Boy(and your dealer) and "insist" that they need to replace your "faulty designed" original deck with one of the Armortek5 decks that they purport to have the best professional cut available. That, to me would be REALLY standing behind their product!!!

jamminloud

Threads
Jamminloud,
I did notice that the current 2012 Compact Diesel models(and for that matter all models that reference the Armortek5 deck) specifically mention that it is a "New re-designed deck". If indeed the deck has been re-designed since you purchased your's and user Gregster's 2009/2010 models(and corrected the cut quality problems you are experiencing), if I were you I would contact Bad Boy(and your dealer) and "insist" that they need to replace your "faulty designed" original deck with one of the Armortek5 decks that they purport to have the best professional cut available. That, to me would be REALLY standing behind their product!!!

Thanks. I will sure look into it.

They should replace it simply to keep me from blasting them on the internet. When you Google Bad Boy mowers, these critical threads pop up.

Another bummer is, the dealer I bought mine from no longer will sell them tax exempt to farmers. That is a real hit in the pocketbook. If it were not for that, I might consider trading mine in for a new one if they won't make the deck good.