BadBoy Mower Cut

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to hear that BB Service Rep. has made contact. You may get the results you want YET ! I'll bet that BB will at least use your desire as a way to re-think adjustments etc. They aren't old and established enough to ignore what customers want and are willing to listen ! :thumbsup:

robert

Threads
I -think- BadBoy is the only stand alone Company left: sort of neat to me.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe Ventrac is in that category also ! :thumbsup: Started and run by the Steiner family (father was the designer of the first Steiner articulated tractor).

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: BadBoy Mower Cut update

Took the BB in to the dealer. He readjusted the deck as I was thinking it had to be by adding length to the rear deck chains to lower the back angle. Releveled the deck. Now it gets the lower cut I was looking for.

Once back at the property noticed the far left blade was not cutting as low as the other two. The deck was level. Raised the mower and saw that the left blade was higher by 1/8 inch. Place a washer between the blade and spindle. Now equal cut.

There are still faint grass cut difference between the blades. While raised I measured nearly 3/4 inch between each blade with cut at 3 and 9 o'clock. I do not know much about the air flow and lift under the decks and how that much of a gap gets cut. The Dixie has about 1/4" between the blades with the cut at 2 and 10 o'clock.

Well..... end result is the cut is tolerable though not perfect. I would like to go to some 'lifting' blades to see if the inbetween cut improves. Or even a blade that is an 1/8" longer on each end for a total of 1/4" more in overall length.

That's my story.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Chappy,
Is there any point at which the blade tips are closer together than 3/4" or overlap because one blade is behind (or in front of) the other ?

If there is a 3/4" gap that is not being cut I would think BB would want to solve that problem for you.

What did the Service Rep. have to say about your situation (and do you know what he told the dealer ??) ????

I would just like to know how BB is dealing with customer issues (it tells anyone a great deal about the company) !!! Do you feel better about the company than you did for a while ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have 3/4 inch at the closest the blades can get, find blades that are 1/2 to 5/8 longer... What you want is blades that do not touch... (they will not stretch while in use... if they clear when rotated by hand, they will clear when in use... 3/4 is too much. :smile:KennyV

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the rep's email and will tell him my findings. I do not know of any conversation between BB and the dealer. I have no problem with BB. I take some of the blame as I over-bought and did not do due diligence in my study of the machine. I know better.

Yes, as I stated, I can live with the latest results but be known that they are inferior to competitor's cuts. I do not have to speak to BB to know that there is no solution for the problem other than retooling for future builds. Again, the only solution for a little better cut is a slightly longer blade for this machine which would need to be custom and very expensive.

I was being generous with the 3/4" gap. Lining the blades up there is 1/2" on either side of the cutting cavity to the blade. So that would be 1" plus the thickness (did not measure) of the cavity wall. FYI, this is the 3 to 9 o'clock rear cavity wall which the Dixie does not have. It's is 2 to 10 o'clock which allows for closer blade tolerances as they come around and together.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the blade would need to be custom.
Measure your stock blade from cutting tip to cutting tip on a diagonal and add 1/2 the gap (minus maybe 1/8" to 1/4") and measure the center hole. Width and thickness of the blade are also a factor.
Give us those measurements and I bet someone here can find you a stock blade.
Again, the only solution for a little better cut is a slightly longer blade for this machine which would need to be custom and very expensive.

Chappydean

Forum Newbie
Threads
Man, I do appreciate all the input and advice. I'll check the blade length out. Sometimes I get on a single track. I believe a longer blade will help and there is definitely room for it. The main thing with the BB is that 9 to 3 wall. It can never get as close as the Dixie. I only have it to compare to and am unfamiliar with other brand engineering.

I have passed all this on to the sales rep. Am waiting and curious as to what BB has to say. They may avoid me as I think they shorted me a roll bar. Ironic, shorted blades and shorted roll bar. lol!

Thanks again guys. Great group.

jamminloud

Threads
Hey Chappy,

I feel your pain. I too bought the compact diesel about a year ago and had the same problem. Great strong frame and engine, but crappy cut. Mine was leaving the 'strips' you mention. The dealer and I did everything we could to no avail. He even took it in and gave it back to me saying it was solved, and when I got the mower home and measured, all he had done was lower the deck in the rear about 1/2" lower than the front. Not what BB recommends and not good for cutting anything thick.

Long story short, there is a work-around. Thanks to this forum, I found a guy who said get a set of Exmark blades. I did and if you hold the Exmark blades on end next to the BB blades, there is a tiny length difference. The Exmark's are a tad longer. It made a huge difference. It is still not perfect in my book, but much much better. If I had it to do all over, I would put the money I spent on the BB into a Kubota or something else. I wanted a diesel and the BB was the cheapest diesel I could find. It's a good operating mower, it just has one of the worst cuts I've ever encountered right out of the box. Try the Exmark blades, you won't be sorry you spent the money. :licking: