Briggs engine with fuel stabilizer capsule in gas cap

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs engine with fuel stabilizer capsule in gas cap
Helped my in-laws pick up their new mower yesterday, like mine, it has the 190cc, 6.75 torque rated Briggs and Stratton engine. I recommended they buy a mower with that engine as it's super easy starting, very miserly on fuel, and promises to be reliable. My dad in law watched me unpack their new mower and set it up. When I showed him the tiny little capsule of Sta-Bil that snaps into the gas cap underside, he asked me how much a replacement capsule costs.

So I used my Blackberry web brower for a Google search, one of the first hits that came up said they were about $5.00 each....told my dad in law, he started laughing and it would make more sense to buy a pint bottle of Sta-Bil and measure out what you needed, instead of paying $5 for the ease of snapping a new capsule in.

My thoughts exactly...whoever came up with that concept of marketing is either really smart, or really stupid, depending on how many customers choose to treat their fuel that way.....:confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
$3.40 per two. couldn't fine how long one lasted but i was thinking it lasted through several fill ups

LandN

Threads
My j.d. mower and j.d. snowblower has the stabilizer capsules on the gas caps.i just get new ones when i pass by the dealer,when there empty and pin them back on (poof all done) .for me its a lot easier than phidlepharting around the other way.if i spend the time putting in the bulk stuff i'm sure it wouln't get done. hail, i can't stand taking the time to mix the trimmer gas/oil...hhhmmmmm maybe me get a 4 cycle trimmer.:laughing:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just get the large bottle (blue Marine Formula) from Tractor Supply and put it in the 5 Gal. can before I go to fill it up -- mixes as you put the gas in the can. :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just get the large bottle (blue Marine Formula) from Tractor Supply and put it in the 5 Gal. can before I go to fill it up -- mixes as you put the gas in the can. :thumbsup:

That is not only the most sensible approach, but it is the most cost effective...
As to the taking time to do it...??
Very few folks drive or push their mowers up to the gas pumps at their service station... so they are going with some type container anyway... If you feel the need to add something to the fuel... add it to the empty fuel can before you go, unless you forget to get fuel... you will have no reason to not take the 30 seconds it may take to add... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
That is not only the most sensible approach, but it is the most cost effective...
As to the taking time to do it...??
Very few folks drive or push their mowers up to the gas pumps at their service station... so they are going with some type container anyway... If you feel the need to add something to the fuel... add it to the empty fuel can before you go, unless you forget to get fuel... you will have no reason to not take the 30 seconds it may take to add... :smile:KennyV

well i guess part of that one was thrown my way.i guess i am one of the "very few folks" who drive up to the station with my mower on my truck.while parked at work, i choose not to have the gas can in the back of the truck.sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends on my schedule.mostly i cut right after work BEFORE i go home.as for the cost, i make it up in other ways.thats my sensible approach.

msaeger

Threads
My mower came with one of those. I never got another one or bothered with adding anything to the gas. Might be a good idea to but I don't think about it that much. I just run it dry at the end of the year. It's five years old and starts on one pull so I can't ask for more than that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
well i guess part of that one was thrown my way.i guess i am one of the "very few folks" who drive up to the station...
thats my sensible approach.

There is a station that sells diesel a half mile down the road...
and I also will actually drive up to the pump at times :tongue:... especially with my larger tractor... I run through enough fuel that I am not really needing a stabilizer:thumbsup:
... but most folks don't usually drive up to the pumps ... & they could just as easily dump it into their "gas can" when they go for fuel... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mower came with one of those. I never got another one or bothered with adding anything to the gas. Might be a good idea to but I don't think about it that much. I just run it dry at the end of the year. It's five years old and starts on one pull so I can't ask for more than that.

Same here, I just drain fuel at end of the year of run dry, I go thru enough gasoline it never has a chance to get stale.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a station that sells diesel a half mile down the road...
and I also will actually drive up to the pump at times :tongue:... especially with my larger tractor... I run through enough fuel that I am not really needing a stabilizer:thumbsup:
... but most folks don't usually drive up to the pumps ... & they could just as easily dump it into their "gas can" when they go for fuel... :smile:KennyV

The closest diesel station to me is a four mile round trip, and my tractor has no insurance coverage once I remove it from my actual property. And the police do not approve of people using tractors on the roads UNLESS they are actually being used for farm purposes. As my cop neighbor says, if you cause or are involved in an accident by having your tractor on the roads, you will be asked to show what is termed "good cause" for being on the road in the first place.