ryobi cs26 weed eater won't stay running

Truckdriver09

Threads
I have a ryobi cs26 weed eater that won't stay running. I haven't ran it in probably 8 months or so, and I should have known better. First thing I did was dispose of the old gas and also pulled apart the carb to see if anything was gunked up and it was fairly clean except for the little mesh filter screen, so I cleaned that out and put it back together. If I choke the engine and give a couple of pulls, the engine attempts to start and once I switch to full throttle, it will run for about 3-5 seconds and dies. In order to get it to run for another 3-5 seconds, I have to choke it again and once again give it a few pulls. Then the cycle continues. Never able to get it to run for more than 5 seconds, and I did this for probably 45 minutes.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if this is it, but the only thing that has stopped my 21 year-old Echo string trimmer is the spark arrestor getting plugged up.

Not hard to check. Take your muffler apart and see how it looks. If you can't see daylight clearly through it, either clean it or throw the thing away.

MowermanUK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very first thing I would check is the fuel filter in the tank then fuel lines for splits etc, then give a carb tune. If you need more details on how just let me know ?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Read the plug and see what you can. If starved a new plug should not have black fluffy deposits. Crud may be blocking the small fuel passage ways into the carb throat. Does the engine run on the intermediate choke setting and what is outside temp when you tried to start it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a can of starter fluid and an in line spark tester.
Hook up the spark tester remove the air filter squirt some starter fluid down the carb and start the trimmer.
Hold the shaft in a vice so you have both hands free.
continually give it some short squirts of starter fluid to see if you can keep it running, remembering a big squirt will flood the engine and kill it off.
Watch the spark tester at the same time .
If you can keep it running with the fluid and the spark tester seems to be flashing in sync with the motor then you have a fuel supply problem .
Before you ri the carb apart again, hook up an alternate fuel supply preferably from a tank suspended above the trimmer.
Problem goes away then it is new filter and fuel line time.
No difference then it is back into the carb.
Usually they need new gaskets very time they get pulled apart and because of the cost of the parts comparred to the cost of my time I do diaphragms as well.
If OTOH the spark light goes out while the engine is still spinning you have an ignition problem.
First check the switch by removing it.
Next is to check for breaks in the insulation allowing the control wire to short out against the body some where.
Last is to change the ignition module.
Ryobi parts are a bit problematic as Ryobi outsorce most of their manufacture, however if you like the tool then fix it.

zacker01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure if this is it, but the only thing that has stopped my 21 year-old Echo string trimmer is the spark arrestor getting plugged up.

Not hard to check. Take your muffler apart and see how it looks. If you can't see daylight clearly through it, either clean it or throw the thing away.

Could a clogged spark arrestor be causing my older Echo SRM2100 (or 2200 cant remember off hand) to run well but after about 20-30 minutes or so start to bog down and want to stall when I give it gas? Someone said to loosen the gas cap but even if I take it off, it doesn't help.

zacker01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a ryobi cs26 weed eater that won't stay running. I haven't ran it in probably 8 months or so, and I should have known better. First thing I did was dispose of the old gas and also pulled apart the carb to see if anything was gunked up and it was fairly clean except for the little mesh filter screen, so I cleaned that out and put it back together. If I choke the engine and give a couple of pulls, the engine attempts to start and once I switch to full throttle, it will run for about 3-5 seconds and dies. In order to get it to run for another 3-5 seconds, I have to choke it again and once again give it a few pulls. Then the cycle continues. Never able to get it to run for more than 5 seconds, and I did this for probably 45 minutes.

my guess would be the carb is gunked up. there are some tiny holes in there and they can clog easily if it was stored with gas still in it. taking these things off and apart isn't hard, just try and remember how they were together so you can put it back together correctly. take photos of each step with your phone to use as a guide if you get stuck or confused...lol it works well for me a lot of times. lol clean everything with some carb cleaner spray, I have been told not to but... I push a thin piece of wire through all the holes and where the gas lines go to unclog them then I spray carb cleaner through each one to blow out and dirt or gum deposits. they say wire can scratch the inside of these holes and make things worse but I use copper wire, the copper, at least in my mind, is too soft to scratch the carb up any and I have not had any issues with this and I have did this to all sorts of small engines for years... lol right now im messing with one of my troy built whackers carb but im thinking this carb is spotless so its gotta be some thing else that's going on in my whacker...

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I think mechanic mark suggested the tie wraps (bagged bread) which are plastic coated. Kind of like a kinder and gentler roter rooter. Also ( I have not taken one apart) there may be "Welsh plugs" which are the ends of the thru-drillings in the carb body. These can be pushed out for better "rifle-barrel" cleaning. I read here that these plugs are available for tap- in replacement. I also once read of using fish sinker (lead). Have not tried either.

zacker01

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I think mechanic mark suggested the tie wraps (bagged bread) which are plastic coated. Kind of like a kinder and gentler roter rooter. Also ( I have not taken one apart) there may be "Welsh plugs" which are the ends of the thru-drillings in the carb body. These can be pushed out for better "rifle-barrel" cleaning. I read here that these plugs are available for tap- in replacement. I also once read of using fish sinker (lead). Have not tried either.

wow, a bread tie, that's a great tip! even a piece of regular like a strand off a wire brush or wheel really is going to be hard to get to mess up the ID of one of these chambers, as long as you don't go forcing it into too small a hole or start grinding away at it instead of just gently pushing it through, you should be ok. I have yet to mess up one yet... lol

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could a clogged spark arrestor be causing my older Echo SRM2100 (or 2200 cant remember off hand) to run well but after about 20-30 minutes or so start to bog down and want to stall when I give it gas? Someone said to loosen the gas cap but even if I take it off, it doesn't help.

Yes.

And it isn't hard to find out; only takes a few minutes to remove the spark arrestor.

If exhaust gas can't get out of the combustion chamber of a 2-cycle engine, fuel/air can't get. Any restriction on the exhaust means less power.