Ariens XL42 vs. Big Dog Alpha

K14

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking at buying my first zero turn. I'm on 1.5 acres that is flat and has around 20 trees.

I have narrowed it down to two mowers, that suit my needs and are available locally for purchase and servicing. It's between an Ariens XL42 and a Big Dog Alpha 42".

I've used a friends XL42 and I liked it, I'm leaning toward it over the Big Dog as I have only just heard about Big Dog and there seems to be limited information available online about them. I understand they're out of the Hustler factory so they should be reasonable.

Both are 42", both have fab decks. The Big Dog comes with lights (which I have zero interest in) and the seat looks more comfy? Having done some research on the motors both the Kawasaki FR651 and the Kohler 22hp in the Ariens seem to be good motors. Prices between the two are exactly the same. What's the obvious choice?

gtduck

Threads
I'm looking at buying my first zero turn. I'm on 1.5 acres that is flat and has around 20 trees.

I have narrowed it down to two mowers, that suit my needs and are available locally for purchase and servicing. It's between an Ariens XL42 and a Big Dog Alpha 42".

I've used a friends XL42 and I liked it, I'm leaning toward it over the Big Dog as I have only just heard about Big Dog and there seems to be limited information available online about them. I understand they're out of the Hustler factory so they should be reasonable.

Both are 42", both have fab decks. The Big Dog comes with lights (which I have zero interest in) and the seat looks more comfy? Having done some research on the motors both the Kawasaki FR651 and the Kohler 22hp in the Ariens seem to be good motors. Prices between the two are exactly the same. What's the obvious choice?

I just purchased a Big Dog Alpha 42" last week. I haven't had a ton of time to fully get acquainted with it, but so far I'm really happy. The seat is much more comfortable than some of the others in the price range I tried and was as big of a selling feature as anything else. I like the fab deck and am very happy with the Kawasaki (once again, so far). I'll let you know if anything comes up, but so far so good.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

The XL42 has better hydros. Other than that the mowers are comparable. You should go with the mower you like best. The big dog alpha is made by excel industries, which also makes hustler mowers. The alpha is basically the same mower as the raptor. The main difference is the lights and a different seat.

gtduck

Threads
The XL42 has better hydros. Other than that the mowers are comparable. You should go with the mower you like best. The big dog alpha is made by excel industries, which also makes hustler mowers. The alpha is basically the same mower as the raptor. The main difference is the lights and a different seat.

The current raptors also have the Kohler motor as opposed to the Kawasaki

K14

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did notice the Ariens had the better hydros in them. I was leaning that way anyway and I figure that's the draw card. Both the Kohler and Kawasaki motor now seem to be on par with one another?

Homer1

Threads
Ariens and Gravely are pretty much the same, around here we see more Gravely. The XL is the equivalent to Gravely ZTXL. Lots of people around here love the Gravely but tend to go for the step up to the ZT HD, or Ariens Max Zoom 48 because of the 3100 hydros and better engine. The price is a little steeper but it's technically a little more commercial, however the 2800's will probably be fine for what your mowing.

Most everyone that owns a Gravely always recommends them as well. That's about all the experience I have with the Ariens/Gravely outfit. Some of our largest commercial outfits also mow with their LP gas mowers, things like right of ways and center medians in the city.

Also, word is, Kohler is going to be the more frequently seen engine in the future on many mowers. Something with bids from Kawasaki came in late, I don't know, but it's a good engine, and parts are usually easy to find. I was a Kaw fan based on previous experience, but was ready to jump all over the Kohler with my latest mower after lots of research.

Be sure to test drive, and see what services your dealer offers. A good dealer is sometimes better than a good product in a lot of ways. People who will work with you through problems are key!