Maple Tree death

rmancini

Threads
Okay - this is what I've got: About 16 years ago I built a shop on my property. In order to do so, I had to have a maple tree topped so the concrete truck could make the pour. In retrospect, I should have had the tree removed. It's around 42" at the base (BIG BOY!). Over the years, I've drilled many, many 1 1/2" holes at varying depth and angles into which I've put gasoline, Round-up, Square-up, Triangle-up Crossbow, motor oil and a host of other chemicals . I've also drove in dozens of copper nails all in an attempt to kill this thing.
Bottom line: The tree just laughs and continues to flourish and dump leaves on my shop roof causing moss due to the shade.
Anyone have any ideas on how to (quietly) kill Frankenmaple?:mad:

rekees

Threads
We had big Maple removed by our house last year. Have a chainsaw but hired a pro for concern it would fall on the house. Cost $400 but that also included removal and stump grinding.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you kill the tree you are taking a big chance of damage from a storm bringing it down into something you do not want a tree to fall on... KennyV

rmancini

Threads
If you kill the tree you are taking a big chance of damage from a storm bringing it down into something you do not want a tree to fall on... KennyV

It's been topped so If a storm knocked it over it would A: Miss anything important and B: Be the answer to my dtreams!

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Tried Copper Sulfate yet? We got rid of a giant silver maple several years ago that I planted as a twig. (Yeah, I know) We were lucky, the city cut it down because of the roots growing out into the street and screwing it up.

Last edited:

rmancini

Threads
Tried Copper Sulfate yet? We got rid of a giant silver maple several years ago that I planted as a twig. (Yeah, I know) We were lucky, the city cut it down because of the roots growing out into the street and screwing it up.

I'd sure be willing to try it. How do you apply it and where can I get it?
Rich

mystreba

Threads
I'm not sure why you'd want to kill a tree, then cut it down - doesn't cutting it down kill it? Unless you want a dead tree hanging around...

rmancini

Threads
I'm not sure why you'd want to kill a tree, then cut it down - doesn't cutting it down kill it? Unless you want a dead tree hanging around...

Around here, removal of any live tree over 6" diameter requires a permit. A dead tree does not.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree -- Have it taken down before it comes down unexpectedly and causes damage, injury, or death ! :eek:

How expensive can a permit be compared to the damage it could cause ?

Last edited: