hearing protection

KerryAll

Threads
I find the "band style" a good compromise between the muffs and the foam plugs. The bands basically hold the foam plugs in place. You don't get the sweaty feeling from the muffs, and you don't have to squeeze the foam plugs with dirty fingers to stick them back in your ear after you take them out.
The foam on the ends of the bands are replaceable. Check them out on Home Depot (sorry, it's the Canadian site):

WORKHORSE | Band Sytle Hearing Protection | Home Depot Canada

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I work in the auto manufacturing industry involving plastic extrusion. We have huge blow molders (as well as machining & assembly equipment) that use ultra-high air pressure. Various types of hearing protection are offered free for our operators but many people (especially young people) choose not to use it. My father always used ear muffs when he worked around race cars in his younger days so as a kid I just got in the habit. I have ALWAYS used plugs in our factory. They offer the yellow EAR brand cylinder style and the contoured Howard Lieght plugs, (as well as muffs for those who work in the compressor rooms, the only place where hearing protection is required.). I just got in the habit of using the contoured, spongy plugs and now it's second nature to roll 'em up and pop them into my ears before ANY job with high noise levels. I often sleep with them in, that's how comfortable they are. I push them in until they almost touch my ear drums, wait for them to expand and then tug them out slightly and angle them down until the noise level is as quiet as the plugs can make them. It might sound weird but it works really well; it just takes some practice.

When mowing I have an MP3 player with in-the-ear type buds that I use in conjunction with Bilsom "Thunder" muffs (31db blocking) and they work very well. When using my chainsaw or blower, because of the higher level, I use both the contoured plugs AND my earmuffs. Yeah, it's slightly uncomfortable in really hot weather, but it sure beats being deaf. When I take my gear off right after running equipment I can hear my girlfriend whisper to me. That tells me that not only is the ear protection working, but that it is absolutely worth it. And for those who would use muffs with their glasses but are concerned that they don't work as well because the muff-to-head seal is slightly broken by their glasses... just remember, even SOME protection is better than NONE!!!!!:thumbsup:

Jetblast

Threads
Various types of hearing protection are offered free for our operators but many people (especially young people) choose not to use it.

That's interesting because where I worked it was the opposite. All of the younger guys wore earplugs but few of the older ones did. Consequentially, most of the older guys had significant hearing losses which made them harder to communicate with.

I got in the habit of sleeping with my earplugs in too because of noisy hotels, and I still do it. My dogs know how to wake me up if there's anything going on I need to know about.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a combination of plugs and muffs. I have mowed with high end riders for years and added a Scag Tiger Cub to the group in 2008. The Scag is much louder than my riders so I had to upgrade my hearing protection. I wear glasses with goggles and a two strap dust mask with the exhaust valve on the front so muffs don't do the job. I did find and bought the highest DB rated muffs and they work fairly well. All of my machines have collection systems on them but my Scag is by far the loudest. :biggrin:

bigblock

Threads
I have a pair of the Worktunes headphones that I wear mowing. I have hearing damage from the service back in the 60's and need to preserve what little hearing that I have left. They also keep those stupid gnats from crawling in my ears. I probably look stupid singing along with those old country songs but, heck, there ain't nobody out here to see me anyway.

benski

Threads
Absolutely, I use hearing protection. I use a set of ear muffs from Home Depot (31db) and a pair of safety glasses as well. The most obnoxious piece of equipment I run is a 14 hp chipper/shredder. THAT one gets earplugs AND earmuff treatment.:wink::biggrin:

jakesmurray

Threads
Peltor headphones work great. They're all I've ever used.

benski

Threads
Peltor headphones work great. They're all I've ever used.

HD carries the Peltors, that's what I've got. Once your hearing is gone, it's gone. Better to protect what you have instead of miss it when it's gone.:biggrin:

tankdriver

Threads
I use a Apple IPod Touch and noise canceling earplug type headphones. I have tried several different Bluetooth ones where I would not have to put up with a cord, but I have not found one yet that fits tight enough to block out the mower.

earplugs.jpg