hearing protection

AndySKane

Threads
Stopped in at my local Tractor Supply to buy earplugs/muffs but the pegboard was bare and all they had were Sperian RWS-53001 Preshaped Foam Earplug in bright orange. I bought a five pack. After many attempts I finally figured out how to insert them and got them to stay in my ear.

Directions for the Sperian RWS-53011

1. With clean hands roll earplug into a narrow crease free cylinder.
2. Reach hand over head with free hand, pull ear up and back then insert earplug well inside ear canal.
3. Hold for 40 seconds until earplug expands.

Once I got them in they certainly made everything quiet, perhaps too quiet. I'll see how they are when mowing today. I'll reserve judgement but I really didn't want to fiddle with earplugs that much and probably will go back to Ear Classic earplugs which I find easy to put in.

Here's a picture of the Sperians.

Attachments

• RWS-53001.jpg
    RWS-53001.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 9

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stopped in at my local Tractor Supply to buy earplugs/muffs but the pegboard was bare and all they had were Sperian RWS-53001 Preshaped Foam Earplug in bright orange. I bought a five pack. After many attempts I finally figured out how to insert them and got them to stay in my ear.

Directions for the Sperian RWS-53011

1. With clean hands roll earplug into a narrow crease free cylinder.
2. Reach hand over head with free hand, pull ear up and back then insert earplug well inside ear canal.
3. Hold for 40 seconds until earplug expands.

Once I got them in they certainly made everything quiet, perhaps too quiet. I'll see how they are when mowing today. I'll reserve judgement but I really didn't want to fiddle with earplugs that much and probably will go back to Ear Classic earplugs which I find easy to put in.

Here's a picture of the Sperians.
Huh!
No wonder I can't hear anything, I was putting them......somewhere else.
Thanks for the heads up ANDY!

AndySKane

Threads
Sperian RWS-53011

To hard to use. I won't buy anymore. I went out to mower shed and spent several minutes trying to put them in. They kept popping out. Went back to my old Ear Classic ear plugs.

Maybe the Sperians are good for the average person but then I might be below average or my ear canals are odd.

Jetblast

Threads
Those are almost exactly like the Howard Leight plugs I use. They take some getting used to, but once you do most of the guys I've worked with find them better than EAR Classics in terms of comfort and ease of use.

If they're popping out they're not getting rolled tightly enough or you're not putting them in at the correct angle, so they're not going in nearly far enough. I can roll one in each hand and put them in both ears simultaneously, but that took a long time to master. That said, I still can't juggle or ride a unicycle so it doesn't take any extraordinary skill, just practice.

Edit: I found a video on how to insert them. Not only is it informative, it's moderately bizarre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nGO0qNTCd8

You won't have to reach over your head like he does and grab your ear once you get the hang of it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have trouble inserting them - the Howard Leight "Matrix" plugs don't require rolling. They have a core that is slightly stiffer than the foam in the plug so they push in easier. :thumbsup: These Matrix plugs also let voice frequencies in slightly better than the loud noises that will harm your hearing. I use both these and the roll and push type (not at the same time :biggrin:) .

Jetblast

Threads
It also helps to roll them quickly and get them right in. The cooler they are in temp, the longer they maintain their rolled shape giving you more time to get them in. If you roll them too long they come to body temp and rebound to original size too quickly.

Should you keep them in the fridge? I don't know. I'm not that hard core, but I know I wouldn't keep them in a hot shed until you get good at putting them in.

bones66

Threads
The music ear protection are fine for the home-owners. I don't like my guys wearing them because it's a destraction for one. They also can't hear the mowers when something is about to go out, bearings and such. I'm sur some professional disagree, that's just my opinion.:thumbsup:

I'm with you on that. I've tried mowing with Etymotic canal phones and an iPod, but I felt too distracted and that I wasn't hearing my engine and spindles as well as I should. That said, I'm sure some people are better multi-taskers than me, but I still wonder if I'm seeing a future Darwin Award winner when I spot a runner or bicyclist on the road wearing headphones.

I have done it both ways. I don't know how much the low volume music or talk radio I listen to takes away the ability to hear a malfunction over just the ear protection device itself. I'm sure it does somewhat. However the radio is not blaring either. I could see some operators with sound protection protecting them from the mower but deafening themselves from the inside with the music blaring! :laughing:

Mark Widmer

Threads
I really prefer headphone-style ear protection (without music) over the foam inserts. It's a lot less hassle, and I don't have to worry about cleanliness.

Here is what I have:

supersonic-industrial-earmuffs-HB55.jpg

I got them here:
SuperSonic Industrial Earmuffs (NRR 29) - GEMPLER'S

Directions for use:
1. Put them on.

Papa Tango

Threads
By all means use some form of hearing protection. I am hearing impaired and use hearing aids except when working in the yard or servicing a piece of equipment. My audiologist said to use hearing protection to help save what hearing I have left. I prefer muffs but will also use whatever is handy including the foam plugs. The muffs are hotter but seem easier for me to use and are hassle free.

grass cutter

Threads
I always use these yellow ear muffs when ever I mow. My glasses break the seal, but there is still a reasonable amount of protection with glasses