Hustler won't start after pulley broke

ccarroll25

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2003 44 in fastrak sd. I was mowing and a pulley broke so my blades were not turning properly. I disengaged the blades and then shut off the mower to assess the damage. After seeing I needed to replace the pulley and belt, my mower would not start. Is there some kind of kill switch I need to toggle to get mower to start? Any help is appreciated.

turboawd

Threads
when you turn the key, does the engine crank over? or do nothing?

ccarroll25

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a small click you can hear when you turn the key.

ccarroll25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Earlier today I tried the battery and jumped it. Fired up. I don't know how the battery became dead because I don't have to jump the mower to start it. Weird. At least all I have to do is replace the pulley now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Earlier today I tried the battery and jumped it. Fired up. I don't know how the battery became dead because I don't have to jump the mower to start it. Weird. At least all I have to do is replace the pulley now.

Get the output of your alternator checked.
Electric clutches draw a lot of power and what is happening is the battery is supplying electricity faster than the chemistry can cope with so your battery appears flat.
Left alone for a while the chemistry equilibrates and you can draw some more power out of it. Same thing as flattening your car battery by leaving the headlamps on.
Often if you leave it overnight there will be just enough recovery to crank the engine over & maby even start ( unless you are cursed like me ).
However if you flatten the battery slowly by leaving an internal lamp on, there will be no recovery and in the worst cases the battery will not be able to be recharged without a lot complicated procedures.

You have had the exact same thing happen with that torch which went flat and you forgot to get new batteries for.
You take it out of the draw and if by magic you get nice bright light,,, for 5 minutes.

ccarroll25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced the pulley. Jumped the mower to start it. Now the mower will idle all day without flooding out, however as soon as I put the mower in motion the mower floods out. Thoughts.

ccarroll25

Forum Newbie
Threads
and how do you check the output of the alternator?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This won't tell you how many amps the alternator is producing but it will tell you whether or not it's charging the battery.

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage of the battery with the engine off. Should be around 12.7 volts. Then check it again with the engine running. Should be 13 to 14 volts.