B&S engine trouble - (video)

Shann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all. I'm having major trouble with the B&S engine on my pressure washer.
As you can see from the clip, it barely runs. It weakly chugs for a while after I start it and then it quits. ( disregard the smoke you see in the clip, it no longer smokes)
clip:YouTube - ‪Briggs and Stratton pressure washer trouble - Help.‬‏

It's a B&S Quantum XTL Clean Power 60 - Primerless.

Here's a partial list of things I've done to it so far with no luck:
-New gas tank (old one developed crack in the seam)

-Fresh fuel

-Made sure fuel lines were clear
-New spark plug
-Cleaned carb thoroughly (cleaned bowl, took a wire to the jet holes etc.)
-Changed oil (oil is at proper level)

Any idea of what the problem may be and any other things I could try to get it working???
Thanks a lot.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
While you were doing this test, was the choke fully closed? From the video, that's the first thing I'd look at -- that it may be fully choked when it should be only partially choked or not choked at all.

Does it have an automatic choke that could be bad?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
As you can see from the clip, it barely runs. It weakly chugs for a while after I start it and then it quits. ( disregard the smoke you see in the clip, it no longer smokes)

-Fresh fuel

-New spark plug

Any idea of what the problem may be and any other things I could try to get it working???
Thanks a lot.

When you cleaned the carb did you clean the bolt that holds the bowl on the carb? It's also a pick up tube. it has holes in it.
You didn't say anything about the air cleaner, It runs like it could be starved for air. I have a similiar machine, the engine looks to be identical. there's not much to get wrong with an engine set up like that, to run at a constant rpm. It looks like the mixture is off. I know it has a manual choke.... did you reassemble it properly?

Shann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

@Two-Stroke
It has a manual choke. Following the instructions in the owner's manual, I always put it in full choke position when I start it up. ( in the video, I probably adjusted choke to different positions just to see if that would do anything to help. It didn't )

@RobertBrown
I forgot to list that it also has a clean, brand-new air filter. Yes, I gave the "bowl bolt" a serious cleaning. I used carb cleaner and a small wire to make sure the bolt's holes were clean and open. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain the choke is assemble correctly.
Yeah, that's what's so frustrating. That it seems like such a simple engine, that it would be easy to figure out the problem. But I've tried every obvious thing I could think of and still no luck.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could it be that the pump is ceased? Did you loan it out or run it dry. If your pulling from a well.....well sometimes they can pickup sand and that will toast that piston pump faster that a raped ape.

Shann

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've never loaned it out and I've always been really good about making sure the hose was hooked up and running before starting it up. But I guess it's possible the pump might've gotten fouled up at some point.
I didn't even consider that a messed up pump could have a serious effect on the engine. I'll check on the pump to make sure it's working properly. Thanks.

daddy3

Threads
sounds like it could be the coil for some reason people tend to spray the pressure washer off after they use it and i think the water could have messed up the coil or it could have gone bad on its own i think u did a good job on the carb

TylerFrankel

Threads

-Fresh fuel

-New spark plug

Thanks a lot.

That's quite odd. I can't understand that really... it should work now. try running the carburetor without the air box or anything linked up to it except the throttle and choke. Also, unlikely, but try checking the spark plug gap. Once had an engine run terribly like that and could't figure out why, checked the plug and the gap was tiny. Also possible you're down on compression. Smoke could have indicated oil seeping past the rings before excess burned away. Do a compression/leak down test. First though, if you have the skillset and an extra B/S engine, try borrowing a different carburetor and slap it on there for testing purposes. If it seems to run you know at the worst you need a new carb, which is like 20 bucks. Note that if its a carburetor off a different type of engine you might have to jerry rig the throttle and choke into the right places.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
After 8 years, he has likely moved on.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And that Youtube clip still plays!