Hustler Raptor SD Puff of Smoke at Startup

Freerider

Threads
16 hours on the Kaw 7.6 and I get a puff of smoke at start up. Is this normal? It sits for about a week.

Bamacat

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Raptor SD60 does the same. I'm not sweating it at all.
I turned wrenches on Harley V twins with carbs for years and most of them ,new and old, blew a little puff on cold startups.
I've noticed these Kawasaki s need very little choke when cold and none once warm.
Enjoy your machine!!!

Lawn Addict
Threads
16 hours is far from even being broke-in yet. About 50 hours is about broke-in. I'd just be sure & always check oil level BEFORE you use the mower.

PS: Have you done the 8 hour oil change yet ? That is an important one, since all the new parts are getting aquainted & that causes lot of wear particles .

Harley independant wrench here.

Freerider

Threads
16 hours is far from even being broke-in yet. About 50 hours is about broke-in. I'd just be sure & always check oil level BEFORE you use the mower.

PS: Have you done the 8 hour oil change yet ? That is an important one, since all the new parts are getting aquainted & that causes lot of wear particles .

Harley independant wrench here.

I did the 8 our oil change. I'm using the Opti 4 that they offered when I bought it at the dealer. It increases the warranty on the motor.

Freerider

Threads
My Raptor SD60 does the same. I'm not sweating it at all.
I turned wrenches on Harley V twins with carbs for years and most of them ,new and old, blew a little puff on cold startups.
I've noticed these Kawasaki s need very little choke when cold and none once warm.
Enjoy your machine!!!

I've noticed you only get the puff of smoke when I use the choke. I'll start only choking halfway.

bigdaddyr

Threads
I've noticed you only get the puff of smoke when I use the choke. I'll start only choking halfway.

I have the FX Kawi on mine and I was told by the dealer in the summer months 1/4 choke. I usually start mine with no choke and it turns right over. Took some getting used to. Mine starts best with no choke and low throttle.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I find this start up puff of smoke is normal on OHV engines. What my idea is where it is coming from is oil that runs through the valve stems. This tells you that the valve stems are getting proper oil to them which is a good thing.

Freerider

Threads
I spoke with the dealer and he documented it for future reference if indeed there might be a problem. He said that he has never heard of it before on any of their new machines. His thought on it was the compression rings not seating all the way and his suggestion was run it hard at full rpm to help in the process. There is no white smoke coming from the machine at all while it is running.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I spoke with the dealer and he documented it for future reference if indeed there might be a problem. He said that he has never heard of it before on any of their new machines. His thought on it was the compression rings not seating all the way and his suggestion was run it hard at full rpm to help in the process. There is no white smoke coming from the machine at all while it is running.

You should be running your mower at WOT (wide open throttle) when you mow. This is when the governor sets the engine at proper RPM's to work. He is the person saying you have a problem so tell him to fix it. Your mower and money and you know what you want. If it was mine and wasn't using oil a little puff of smoke on start up wouldn't be anything I would even give a though about and I sure wouldn't want the engine taken apart and put back together for it.

Freerider

Threads
I am starting to notice some some oil consumption. 26 hours on the Kaw 7.6 it's used about 1/3 qt. in 18 hours usage. I'm hoping it's because the engine is still breaking in. I did my first oil change at 8 hours. I'm using the 30 weight Opti-4 oil.