Fast Trak S/D SPUTTERS, LOSES POWER, DIES

mwe333

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all.

My fairly new Fast Trak S/D (50 hrs), has started this habit of sputtering, losing power, dying, sometimes backfiring after about an hour of mowing.

Acts like its running out of gas(which I have done several times). I can sometimes keep it going by setting the choke. it eventually dies.

After letting it rest for a few minutes I start it up and we're good to go for about another 15 -20 min. And then let it rest and restart.

This goes on until its so frequent that its just not worth it. The next day is the same. good for an hour or so and it starts all over again.

Clues: the fuel in the filter varies from 1/4 to 3/4 full. happens on either full tank. gas is fresh.

Is it possible that there is a vapor lock? if so how do I fix that? could it be the fuel pump getting week. could it be something getting heat sensitive?

Its very irritating. I spent a lot of money on this machine with the idea that it wouldn't give me any trouble for a while.

Thanks in advance for your help and your suggestions.

turboawd

Threads
Next time this happens, loosen the gas cap and see if that helps. This would tell you if you have a fuel tank vent issue.
But it does sound like a lack of fuel, especially if activating the choke makes it run better.

mwe333

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Turboawd.

I did try that with no noticeable results.:smile:

bigdaddyr

Threads
I just got mine and in the first run with the fuel at 1/2 tank it did something similar. Started sputtering and lacked power, I switched tanks. I finished mowing and then switched tanks again and it seemed to resolve itself.

I run Startron in everything and had already treated it and haven't had the issue since.

I treat all my gas with Startron and all my stuff starts first or second pull.

Please post what you find out.

gabowman

Threads
I believe it has an inline fuel filter. Theyre cheap....couple bucks. Replace that first.

mwe333

Forum Newbie
Threads
I everybody.

I have a good report. I took gabowman's advice and changed the fuel filter. I mowed today for an hour and a half with no issues. I'm very happy. :smile:

Just wouldn't have thought that with 50 hrs. that the filter would be clogged already.

More mowing tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!

Happy Mowing!

bigdaddyr

Threads
I everybody.

I have a good report. I took gabowman's advice and changed the fuel filter. I mowed today for an hour and a half with no issues. I'm very happy. :smile:

Just wouldn't have thought that with 50 hrs. that the filter would be clogged already.

More mowing tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!

Happy Mowing!

Great news! Happy mowing. Glad it was simple. Sitting may have allowed the ethanol to start clogging it up.

If you're not using a fuel treatment then I would consider Startron. It does great on all my equipment. Was advised to use it by the guy who fixes my small engine stuff and has made all my older equipment more reliable.

mwe333

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I will start using the Startran, in addition I think I will also start using recreation gas. (non-ethanol).

gabowman

Threads
If you use the non ethanol then there's really no need for the additive. Since non ethanol is so difficult for me to get I put Sta-bil in everything I run but my car and truck. (The gas recycles in those fast enough to not need it.)