Blades Sharpening Blades on Husqvarna Garden Tractor

Jaylyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone. I need your help.

It's time to sharpen the blades on my GTH2448T 24HP, 48" mowing deck that I bought in 2006. I had it serviced every year until last year when I did everything myself except for sharpening the blades.

I've watched a few videos and they all say you have to remove the mower deck. I seem to remember my husband would drive the old craftsman mower onto ramps so it was at an angle. He would then lay underneath it and sharpen the blades. Of course I never paid attention figuring I would never have to do it.

When the tractor dealership for my New Holland tractor sent a guy out to sharpen the blades on the mower, he had me lift the mower and he laid underneath it and sharpened the blades with a file.

My concern is if I take off the mower deck to do this how to I put it back on so it will be tight enough that it won't come loose? The air compressor is broken so I can't use it.

What do I use for a tool to sharpen the blades, just a large file? My husband had tools for everything, so I know I must have what is needed, but am not sure of what to use.

None of the videos show how to actually sharpen the blades, do you go back and forth or just one way?

Are there any tips to pass along that the manual doesn't mention?

For everyone reading this, my one piece of advice is to make sure your spouse or partner can do everything you can do or vise versa; otherwise you'll be learning like I am. Learning is fun! Thanx, Jaylyn

Last edited:

fastback

Threads
Jaylyn, don't you hav someone nearby that you can ask for help. I guess it would be nice if you could do it yourself but a little help would be good. My wife would probably try to sharpen herself as well.

I normally remove the blades and grind them. Then I check them for balance. The whole job should not take much more than a half hour.

Regards

Paul

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of us here remove the blade to sharpen, and at least half of us agree that the blade should be balanced during the sharpening process. The blade on your mower is held on by a bolt and relaltively easy to remove, albeit hard to access.
If you can gain access and get a look underneath it should be apparent to you how to remove the blade. If it is not perfectly clear how things work afetr looking at the blade, call for help. If you can get the blade off and it doesn't have any big nicks in the edge you can sharpen it with a bastard file or an angle grinder. The key here is not to remove any more of the blade than necessary and not to get the blade to hot (angle grinder).
Balancing: Big debates over how important this is. The importance is relative to the amount of blade removed. If you don't have a balance tool or you don't know what one looks like, you may want to take the blade to the lawn mower shop and let them do it. Should only cost a couple of dollars.
If the blade doesn't have any big nicks in it and you sharpen it with a file (put the blade in a vise for this procedure) don't worry too much about balancing this trip, get it next time.
hope this helps

fastback

Threads
BTW, you can get a balancer at Home Depot. It's made out of plastic and comes with a grinding wheel. I think it goes on a hand drill. Never used one. The cost of the kit is around $7.00. The balance is a cone and is simple to use. When you set the blade on the appropreate hole it will look like a regular balance. If one side is lower than the other you need to remove some steel from the low side.

Jaylyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jaylyn, don't you hav someone nearby that you can ask for help. I guess it would be nice if you could do it yourself but a little help would be good. My wife would probably try to sharpen herself as well.
Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your reply. I must say when I first read it I thought it was a bit sexist, but then I simmered down and realized you know nothing about me. Women should also be able to do these things. My husband passed away, then my uncle, then my Dad and then my son all within a short time of one another. I had a 70 yo neighbor who used to guide me until he passed away. As far as the rest of my friends they are IT and don't know a thing about yard or farm equipment, only setting up networks.

After my son passed away I learned how to use my tractor, backhoe, etc and put a manufactured house on my land for my Mom. I did everything myself - the foundation, put in the road, the power, etc, except for delivering and setting up the home, Mom and I did it all. I have also learned how to do all the maintenance on the farm equipment, the rigs, and my Mustang. What I'm saying is I'm highly capable of doing whatever I have to but ask questions prior to starting something new, just to be on the safe side. I also am in the country, and the animals just don't have the answers.

Regards,
Jaylyn

Jaylyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most of us here remove the blade to sharpen, and at least half of us agree that the blade should be balanced during the sharpening process. The blade on your mower is held on by a bolt and relaltively easy to remove, albeit hard to access.

Hi Robert and Thank you so much for your reply! This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.
I think I will go with the bastard file and the vise. The Grizzly milling machine has a nice vise that holds everything really steady. There are several different grinders and I haven't mastered them yet. The barn has a machine shop in it so I do have all the 'toys' but haven't learned everything.

So to get the best access, I'm going to drive it up on the ramps, put the brake on, block the wheels, and then get access from underneath.

Balancing: Big debates over how important this is. The importance is relative to the amount of blade removed.
Excellent point, I hadn't contemplated that.

Again, thank you so much for your assistance Robert, it is most helpful!
Jaylyn

Jaylyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
BTW, you can get a balancer at Home Depot. It's made out of plastic and comes with a grinding wheel. I think it goes on a hand drill. Never used one. The cost of the kit is around $7.00. The balance is a cone and is simple to use. When you set the blade on the appropreate hole it will look like a regular balance. If one side is lower than the other you need to remove some steel from the low side.

Thank you for this info Paul, its appreciated!
Jaylyn

fastback

Threads
Sorry Jaylyn, I was not trying to insult you. We all need help at times. If you remove the blades just remember that they are directional. The lifter always goes up. If you not sure remove one at a time. The other will help identify direction. Oh, again if you remove the blades put some anti-seize on the threads it will make it a little easier to remove the next time. Also wear gloves when you hold the blade to loosen the bolt. Good luck.

Jaylyn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry Jaylyn, I was not trying to insult you. We all need help at times. If you remove the blades just remember that they are directional. The lifter always goes up. If you not sure remove one at a time. The other will help identify direction. Oh, again if you remove the blades put some anti-seize on the threads it will make it a little easier to remove the next time. Also wear gloves when you hold the blade to loosen the bolt. Good luck.

Hi Paul, Thank you & no insult taken, as I said once I thought about it I realized you had no way of knowing what I can or can't do.

Thank you so much for this information!! I'm planning on tackling the blades this afternoon. I've printed out everything Robert and you have said and am taking it to the barn with me. If you hear a long scream across the country, you'll know I am having problems. If a short scream it was successful and project is done.:smile:

Thank you again for your help!
Jaylyn

ingigo

Threads
remove blade one at a time to keep the balance. look up the grind angle and how much should be left untouched at the edge. Use a sharpie marker and draw a line on sharp side of the blade. gring or file till the marker is gone. use a ruler to mark the next line from the inside to the outside, leaving some metal beyond the line. grind or file that off. Keep about .033 inches, a thick fingernail, on the edge to prevent dings. put a smooth cone or a cylinder in the hex hole, use a lot of lube to help it balance. file or grind to finish balance...I assume you know which side to remove the metal. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT! a rock or something will always mess up your blades. It is all good, it is just cutting grass in an immaculate fashion. But only if you want it to be. Have fun!