Replace universal joint (yoke)

cambre

Threads
My shaft going to the deck has a loose cross in the yoke. If it is suppose to have needle bearings in it they are gone. My manual not much help on how to remove it. The mower is a 725D with a 34 series deck, model 3461. Thanks for any help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes needle bearings should be in all caps. Safety first, safety glasses & gloves. First remove grease fitting, then remove snap rings or spring clips at caps, you can use a hammer on driveshaft to drive u-joint & caps out. Remember to grease new u-joint.

725DT6 2010 PTO Shaft Clutch Assembly- Grasshopper Mower Parts- The Mower Shop, Inc.

The Mower Shop, Inc. - Detail1 - 121010 - 121010 ... Cross Bearing,,please note:this replacement bearing now comes from grasshopper without grease zerts - - The Mower Shop, Inc.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I haven't ran across any of that style in a mower. But I have changed them in ATV's and cars. You will have to remove the shaft. I have come across two different styles, molded plastic and snap rings that hold the bearings in place. I will make a guess you have the snap ring style. First remove the snap rings You will need to press out the old bearings and then remove the cross shaft. Then just reverse the progress to install the new joint. If you don't have a press I have done in the pass use a large punch and hammer. If by any chance you do have the molded plastic style you will need to burn out the plastic with a torch which I will say have it done.

cambre

Threads
Absolutely yes needle bearings should be in all caps. Safety first, safety glasses & gloves. First remove grease fitting, then remove snap rings or spring clips at caps, you can use a hammer on driveshaft to drive u-joint & caps out. Remember to grease new u-joint.

725DT6 2010 PTO Shaft Clutch Assembly- Grasshopper Mower Parts- The Mower Shop, Inc.

The Mower Shop, Inc. - Detail1 - 121010 - 121010 ... Cross Bearing,,please note:this replacement bearing now comes from grasshopper without grease zerts - - The Mower Shop, Inc.

Thanks mechanic mark: I will work on it tomorrow.

cambre

Threads
I haven't ran across any of that style in a mower. But I have changed them in ATV's and cars. You will have to remove the shaft. I have come across two different styles, molded plastic and snap rings that hold the bearings in place. I will make a guess you have the snap ring style. First remove the snap rings You will need to press out the old bearings and then remove the cross shaft. Then just reverse the progress to install the new joint. If you don't have a press I have done in the pass use a large punch and hammer. If by any chance you do have the molded plastic style you will need to burn out the plastic with a torch which I will say have it done.

Thanks reynoldston: Good info. Will fix it tomorrow.

cambre

Threads
I replaced the universal joint on my Grasshopper. The supposedly quick release wasn't very quick for me because it was rusted and crusted on the shaft. The one I took off didn't have a grease zert in it and like the mower shop said neither did the new one. The cross is solid so I couldn't put a zert in it. I guess I'm old fashion because I like to grease and oil things that move on my mowers. Thanks for the help every one.

Birdhunter1

Forum Newbie
Threads

If you have a big vice you can use a socket small enough to fit in the bore of the yoke to push the cross and a socket bigger than the cup to allow the cup to exit the yoke on the other side.