Maximum string size in Echo GT225 Rapid Loader head?

GrowinWeeds

Threads
Anyone tried much larger line size in the rapid loader string head - that comes on the Echo GT225?
Like 0.105" or even larger?

I'm considering a curved shaft trimmer - like GT225 - because:
* lighter weight than most straight shaft (pain issues)
* shorter length than straight shaft trimmers (I'm not tall).

The "stock" line size that comes with GT225 rapid loader head is 0.080". That wears out too fast, edging sidewalks & tough roots.

Hm Dep Salesman said GT225 rapid loader head wouldn't take 0.105" line (or larger).
Because, "the locking jaws would have to open too wide & wouldn't grab the line securely."

Maybe, but I loaded a piece of 0.105" in the GT225 head. It went in easily. Once jaws grabbed - I couldn't pull it back out - not any.
But, that's not the same as running it & trimming grass.

The Echo "universal" rapid loader heads - made for ? the straight shaft models, come w/ 0.095 string.
Not sure - couldn't tell if there's a diff in the string "locking jaw" sizes, on the GT225 stock rapid loader head vs. the universal rapid loader heads (that use 0.095").

GrowinWeeds

Threads
ECHO Trimmer heads suggestions page, string trimmer and weed wacker heads | ECHO USA
"Rapid Loader Head": Standard on GT225 / GT225i models - it fits all ECHO trimmers.
This head uses 0.080", 0.095", 0.105", 0.130" or 0.155" diameter line.
NOTE: Line diameters above 0.105" are recommended for trimmers with 25cc engines and larger.

Side question:
In past, my issue w/ bump head's on most brand trimmers, was refilling them.
Are the Echo "Speed Feed Heads" (in video), really that fast to refill? ECHO Trimmer heads suggestions page, string trimmer and weed wacker heads | ECHO USA
And, once refilled, does line advance easily / reliably? Or, after they've been used a bit, do you have to beat them repeatedly on the ground, to advance line? :laughing:

Threads
Growin Weeds: I have the Echo Speed Feed on my trimmer, and yes it really is that quick. I carry around with me pre-cut maybe 10 ft. sections of trimmer string on my trimmer, and I can restring the trimmer in around 15 seconds. And for me, no, I never had to bump it really hard against the ground as the head grew worn. Here is a thread I made with a photo of the brand new vs. old and worn head, and it was still performing good in the condition shown.... http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/echo-shindawa-forum/34141-replaced-my-speed-feed-head.html

And related to the original question: I'm confused, because I looked up the Rapid Loader head on Echo's website, and it doesn't say it can use 0.080" line you say it came with. Or maybe I'm mistaken. :confused2: ECHO Trimmer Accessories | ECHO USA

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll add my .02 here, reason most curved shaft trimmers use .080 is because they are already fighting friction of the flexable driveshaft making the bend.

I run .095 for years on my Troy-Bilt curved shaft, but instead of loading the specified 20 foot, I only loaded 10 feet, to keep weight down.

Course the Rapid Loader doesn't hold a spoolful. But if you are under warranty, you might wanna stick to the specified string size.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly consider using a harness, ot the simple sling, but a proper H style harness and moving the mounting point on the shaft so that the head just touches the grass without your hands holding it. The overall weight is not ususally the problem it is the weight levered over te entire length of the shaft hanging on your arms.
SWMBO is 5' and after much ho ha I finally found a harnedd the ws comfortable for her to wear and put a second mounting hook on the strait shaft trimmer.
She never looked back. I replaced the fixing bolt with a big wing bolt so she could turn the shaft 90 deg to edge and have never done an edge since.

Now as to your actual trimmer.
You can run any thickness of line that will pass through your head and not bog down the trimmer at full speed.
All speed feed heads feed very fast & easily.
They hit the market about 3 years ago, most are made in China where patients are not recognised so as to steal the original design.
A bona-fide one will set you back about $ 30 +

GrowinWeeds

Threads
Thanks all, for the good feedback.

bertsmobile1 - I've considered an "H" harness. Wasn't sure if they would be more comfortable - enough to justify the cost. Sounds like it was for you / her?
and put a second mounting hook on the strait shaft trimmer
The 2nd mounting hook was for what? Did the H harness require 2 hooks, or...?
I replaced the fixed ? bolt with a big wing bolt so she could turn the shaft 90 deg to edge and have never done an edge since.
So, is the "2nd mounting hook" the same one that has a wing nut (not 2 separate hooks)?

If just one mounting hook, I assume when need to edge sidewalks, the hook is loosened & rotated, so the trimmer "hangs" naturally w/ the string perpendicular to the ground?
So you don't have to use force to hold the trimmer in the sideways position?

What about going back / forth between edging sidewalks & trimming things where string head is held flat?
Or do you do all the sidewalk edging 1st, then rotate the hook - to do other edging?

For me - with one strap hook (on shaft), I'm either having to exert force (hold weight) to hold trimmer sideways - to edge;
or, if the hook is positioned for trimmer to naturally hang sideways (for edging), when I begin trimming around trees, fences, etc., I have to forcibly hold it in the flat "mowing" position.
That forcibly holding the trimmer (either way) - against the way it wants to naturally hang is part of what kills me. In that case, it is the weight and the necessary force / extra gripping that kills me.

Maybe I could put 2 hooks on - pointing 90 deg apart. When switching from edging to normal trimming, move the strap / harness to the appropriate hook?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly we were using a Stihl trimmer.
I am 6' and she was 5'.
In order to be at a comfortable height & angle we had a "his & hers" hook on the shaft.
She used an H harness & I used a sling.
On the Stihl the bracket that holds the hook is held on with nylock nuts on captive bolts.
I swapped these for wing nuts so she could loosen the hook bracket and rotate it 90 deg.
This means all edges in one hit then all under tree/ fences in one hit.

not familiar with your actual trimmer but if it does not have an independent harness hook you might need to fit one as some trimmers the hook is part of the trigger handle & can not be moved.

Just a suggestion.
We started out with a bent shaft which broke like clockwork every 2 years & I got fed up and convinced her she could use the strait shaft & H harness.
Took a bit of doing but once we got it set up comfortably we was happy as the proverbial pig in poo.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone tried much larger line size in the rapid loader string head - that comes on the Echo GT225? Like 0.105" or even larger? I'm considering a curved shaft trimmer - like GT225 - because: * lighter weight than most straight shaft (pain issues) * shorter length than straight shaft trimmers (I'm not tall). The "stock" line size that comes with GT225 rapid loader head is 0.080". That wears out too fast, edging sidewalks & tough roots. Hm Dep Salesman said GT225 rapid loader head wouldn't take 0.105" line (or larger). Because, "the locking jaws would have to open too wide & wouldn't grab the line securely." Maybe, but I loaded a piece of 0.105" in the GT225 head. It went in easily. Once jaws grabbed - I couldn't pull it back out - not any. But, that's not the same as running it & trimming grass. The Echo "universal" rapid loader heads - made for ? the straight shaft models, come w/ 0.095 string. Not sure - couldn't tell if there's a diff in the string "locking jaw" sizes, on the GT225 stock rapid loader head vs. the universal rapid loader heads (that use 0.095").

We run .105 line in all of our weedeaters. We have used it in a 225, 266, and a 280.