HELP! ASAP... B&S Fit a Generac on a Dixie Chopper? Help

ubu

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HELP! ASAP... B&S Fit a Generac on a Dixie Chopper? Help
Will a Generac made by B&S Model 49L977 28HP SN 1635G5 fit a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle Mod. 0050581 SN 7859650 25 HP Generac GVT 760 OHVI ? drbr.1@comcast.net or can it be made to fit? Thank you.

Last edited:

ubu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Relief!

M48TANKER

Forum Newbie
Threads

Mechanic Mark,
Hello, I'm M48TANKER and UBU's big brother. We both have identical Dixie Chopper mowers, just a few years difference in age....like we are. I'll be helping him put the new Briggs&Stratton 28hp engine on in place of the Generac which inexplicably grenaded inside. We know that there will have to be some minor modifications to achieve a proper fit. First off we've found that the vertical shaft of the B&S engine is exactly one inch longer than the old Generac. Will fabricating one inch spacers, to lift the engine up, be the proper thing to do? Is there a "Kit" to make this conversion? It will probably need a connector/adapter for the wiring harness too? And then there is the throttle/choke/governor linkage issue. Any suggestions? Thanks! You can email me directly at "michaeleroper@comcast.net"

M48TANKER

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for everyone's help. We didn't think of using a longer center bolt and spacers underneath, we did go ahead and make a spacer frame out of 1 inch square tubing, to set the motor base up an inch off the deck. I welded the square tubing at the corners and drilled holes to match the bolt pattern on the motor and the deck. Everything else went right into place and the mower is now back in service with a brand new B&S engine. It started right up and needed no adjustments in order to operate perfectly. The only significant difference was in the starter solenoid. The Generac starter was equipped with a integral solenoid and with the B&S engine I had to mount a separate starter relay on the chassis. I rerouted a few wires but maintained all the safety switches. If I remember correctly the B&S engine didn't have a low oil pressure delay switch, so those wires were just not used. It took a lot of thought to be sure and get the wiring right but we did not have to buy a new harness.
So to anyone out there who is considering an engine swap: Think it through as you transfer the wiring. Common sense is your best ally.
M48TANKER