Hustler Raptor Deck jump

Jake Longnecker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with a rear bagger on it. When I engage the blades the deck jumps about 2 inches up and shakes. It is fine after that. The engine rps are set at 3400 at WOT. I engage the blades at half throttle and the deck still jumps. Does anyone know if this is normal for this mower?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For every action there is an opposite & equal reaction. Mr Newton I believe
Electric clutches have a sudden death engagement and the only thing to soften the start is the spring on the tension arm.
The deck hangs with little in the way of solid support so the reaction to the energy going into rotating the blades causes the deck to "jump" which is perfectly normal.
Same as dropping the clutch in your car at full revs.
You can lessen this by engaging the blades at 1/2 throttle then running them up to full speed.
Some makers say to do it, others don't for essentially the same deck engine & clutch.

Having said that check that the spindles spin freely and nothing in would around the blades causing resistance to the bades spinning.

oldsaff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed this on my raptor 42. Start the blades with the deck all the way up.. "G" setting I think and it doesn't jump

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I noticed this on my raptor 42. Start the blades with the deck all the way up.. "G" setting I think and it doesn't jump

That will depend at what cutting height brings the deck pulley into closest alignment with the engine pulley .
At this point the distance between the pulleys will be the shortest so there will be more slack in the belt thus a less violent engagement.

OTOH is the mower has a deck stop that holds the deck tight against the mower then again it will look less violent as the deck has no where to go and all the play has to be taken by the belt.

Doug44

Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with a rear bagger on it. When I engage the blades the deck jumps about 2 inches up and shakes. It is fine after that. The engine rps are set at 3400 at WOT. I engage the blades at half throttle and the deck still jumps. Does anyone know if this is normal for this mower?

This is normal and you will find the 1st engagement when the belts are cold are the worst. After a few minutes of mowing the engagement is much tamer. Hustler in the owners manual recommends 3/4 throttle when engaging the blades. It's just a fact with the electric clutches vers a manual lever to engage there is no way to soften the blow so to speak. It is what it is a on/off switch vers a nice operator controlled engagement.