Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?

Carl in CT

Threads
  • / Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?
I posted this question on another web forum but wanted to get more opinions so I'm posting it here too.

I have a Toro/Wheelhorse tractor with a Kohler Command 18hp motor that I just got the governor straightened out on. It ran good for a little while but now it is running like crap, seems to be fuel starved. Not positive it's a fuel issue yet but I noticed the carb solenoid wire was barely attached and when I removed it the wire broke the rest of the way (broke flush so I can't re-attach it) so that needs to be fixed regardless. New solenoid at dealer $75, online $28. New carb with solenoid at dealer $280, online $170-ish but a new carb including solenoid online with the fuel inlet pointing straight out instead of down was only $45. I figured a new carb can't hurt and If I couldn't use it because of the inlet direction I only spent an extra $17 on a solenoid and have a completely new bunch of carb parts so I bought the new carb for $45.

Well, being the impulsive idiot that I can be I thought, gee that fuel inlet looks to be just pressed in, I wonder if it can be turned with pliers or something. It was against my better judgement but I grabbed a pair of pliers and it turned pretty easily. I thought, uh oh, I think that was a bad idea. I expected it to be much tighter and not move at all and I would go with my original plan of re-routing the fuel line somehow (which would be difficult due to the air cleaner plate in the way but not impossible). When I applied such little force and the inlet moved I didn't know whether to be happy or scared for what I had just "accomplished". I'm thinking I might have broken a seal of some sort and now it's going to leak, or worse but it is still tight enough that I can't budge it with my fingers. When I blow through the inlet with the float open or closed I can't detect any air leaks, no bubbles with the soapy water around the inlet.

So, did I ruin my new carb and if so can I repair it?

Thanks

jeff

Threads
Those fuel inlets can be purchased seperately. I would hook it up, and if it leaks then worry about replacing it.

Trcustoms719

Threads
Nah.., I wouldn't worry about it..