Tire constantly losing pressure

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on the ply rating and rim size and type, it can be impossible to install inner tubes on some.
I was barely able to get inner tubes in the front wheels on my Ingersoll GT, 16x6.5x8.
On my Scag, it was impossible to install an inner tube due to the ply rating of the tire.
Applying non scented talcum powder on the inner tube, the tire interior and the rim interior makes the job much easier. I ran out of the powder that I used on aircraft tires/wheels, but the non scented powder works fine. Then the inner tube can seek its position as it is inflated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on the ply rating and rim size and type, it can be impossible to install inner tubes on some.
I was barely able to get inner tubes in the front wheels on my Ingersoll GT, 16x6.5x8.
On my Scag, it was impossible to install an inner tube due to the ply rating of the tire.
Applying non scented talcum powder on the inner tube, the tire interior and the rim interior makes the job much easier. I ran out of the powder that I used on aircraft tires/wheels, but the non scented powder works fine. Then the inner tube can seek its position as it is inflated.

No such thing as a rim you can not put a tube into, but you are right, some are a lot more difficult than others.
Ply rating makes no difference because all mower tyres are run at low pressures so you can not baloon out the side walls unless you are grossly over inflating the tyres.

back to the original prolem.
Pull the tyre off the rim and check the rim sealing flange for rust and foreign bodies like grass seeds ( amazing where thoes little buggers can get )
Have had some tyres that only leaked when there was side pressure on the tyre due to bad sealing surface on the rim.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ply rating of a tire has a lot to do with the flexibility or lack thereof in the sidewall.
A stiff tire on a rim with a deep bead area will not have enough of a gap to push an inner tube thru, case in point, the front wheels on Scag Tiger Cubs/Cats!

Last edited:

Deuce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I have 127e mower and the right left tire always needs to be inflated every week. I've done the soap test, and I don't see any punctures.

Anything else I should look for?

Mine did the same thing. On the side of the tire where there is a little nipple stamp, is where my tire leaked. I put a tube into it. I believe that it is covered under the warranty, but it is a hour ride to where I purchased it so I went with the tube. My Kohler 27 hp just blew too! The fan on top came loose, engine overheated and now I'm waiting (3weeks so far) for Kubota to replace it. Grass catcher is a P.O.S too!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ply rating of a tire has a lot to do with the flexibility or lack thereof in the sidewall.
A stiff tire on a rim with a deep bead area will not have enough of a gap to push an inner tube thru, case in point, the front wheels on Scag Tiger Cubs/Cats!

On new tyres yes.
On old tyres the age & exposure to UV rays will be far more significant.

OTOH both beads of the tyre on the outside of the rim, tube valve side first fully deflated inserted into tyre under rim then push valve through hole and screw in a keeper.
Push rimdown onto tube and insert the other side.
Blow up tube to locate it properly then deflate .
Work the beads back over the rim & inflate.
Agreed, not an easy job particularly on the front casters, but it can be done.