Fuel Filter not staying full while running lawn mower

Cincyelite22

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Fuel Filter not staying full while running lawn mower
I own a Craftsman riding lawn mower with a model number of 917.272420 and a kohler engine on it with a model number of CV492S. I have been having problems where my mower will run for 15 minutes then will run out of gas in the filter.

I just replaced the fuel filter. I'm not sure if it was the problem with my lawn mower though. Before replacing it the fuel filter would be full when I would start mowing but about 20 minutes into mowing it would be dry or empty. I checked online for filters and the it seems I may have had a briggs stratton filter on the mower which was designed for mowers with a fuel pump. Is it likely that was the reason it was emptying since my mower has no fuel pump and is gravity fed? If not then what could be causing the fuel filter to be not filling up? I have cleaned the carburetor already.

mullins87

Threads
Plugged up fuel line between the tank and filter? Maybe it allows enough fuel through the clog to fill the filter while it is sitting, but won't let enough fuel through to keep it running. Are you sure you have the filter installed correctly. Most have an arrow indicating the proper fuel flow.

WendyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you may have the same problem i had. I have a craftsman too. I think you have the wrong fuel filter. I couldn't find my part# so they gave me one they said was universal. It may be universal for mowers with fuel pump but mine is gravity fed so it didnt work. The mower would suck the gas out of it then go dead. I found the correct filter and replaced it and runs great now. The filter i needed doesnt fill up with fuel it just filters through it.

I just had to have it repaired for a blown head gasket right after replacing the filter so I dont know if it could have caused it but didnt have any problems before so be careful.

jteuban

Threads
First I would replace all the fuel lines with new stuff, then if that does not work drill another hole about 1/4 in from the outside of the gas cap VERY SMALL, just enough to let a little air in. this should fix your problem

richram

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I had open the fuel cap while ruining is was starting to die I opened the cap with no help. But I keep shaking the filter to make the fuel come out. also I cleaned the tank and blew air through the lines, so you got me today i cut the grass and no problem last week there were major problems had to stop five times

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a very restrictive filter, and that filter is located where it gets hot, (most anyplace near an air cooled engine)... you can have a vapor lock condition occur on the carb side of the filter...
Ethanol fuels have a bit higher vapor pressure than gasoline, and may cause a flow problem in a restricted passage... So for a gravity fed carb you will have the least trouble with the coarsest filter... :smile:KennyV

richram

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I will try it