New RSD owner, thinking of upgrading air filtration

90b4032

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New RSD owner, thinking of upgrading air filtration
I recently purchased a 54" RSD and have been looking at some upgrades such as a seat, flex forks, etc. I see that the FR series engines have a paper filter and nothing else. The FS series adds a foam pre-filter to the paper filter which I just ordered today. The FX has a 2 stage filtration system that I would like to upgrade to if possible. I read somewhere online that this would cause the mower to run rich due to the better filter being more restrictive. Has anyone upgraded their air filter and what did you do?

turboawd

Threads
i just added the foam prefilter, and am happy with that. before, the pleats of the filter would get filled up quick with grass dust.

kraky

Threads
I added the foam too. I bet it double or triples the life of the paper element. A gentle blow inside out w/a air compressor is also a part of occasional maintenence...takes no more time than checking tire pressure. The handy location of the air cleaner is nice....but does put it right where its gonna pull crap in.

Kremeneon

Threads
I wrapped my pleated filter with a piece of spun poly air pre-filter material, plenty of room for it under the hatch and it stays put. 50 hours on my RSD now and when I checked the filter it was dang near perfectly clean while chunks of grass and whatever else were packed up on the prefilter.

577jersey

Threads
So adding a pre filter to the Kawi FR wont change the jetting on the carb or fuel consumption?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope.

The models that sell with the big Two stage air filters run the same carb & jets as the one with a pleated paper filter.
Most of the filter fitted to mower engines are fairly poor at best to totally useless.
IF it were me I would spring for the 2 stage filter.
The ones kawakasi use dwn here are Donaldsons and you can buy it from Donaldson for about 1/2 the price.
Even beter the Donaldson one has a visual indicator when the outer filter needs replacing.
Just make sure ou fit the long wire reinforced convoluted air tubing to stop it collapsing.
Fit the filter as high as possible, mounted to the frame so it does not inhibit removal of the engine cowling for blowing down the block.

577jersey

Threads
Thanks again brother,
Yeah we have those on our chippers at work,they have that flow indicator or whatever its called.
Great info..i just ordered a pre filter from ebay,the lawns I do are not that dusty unless it gets dry...i usually tap out my filters twice a week also.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engines that have the Donaldson two stage air filters do have different carbs and or jetting from their similar single filtered counterparts.
Some of the few folks that do install a Donaldson two stage air filter get away OK with them and some don't.
First off, if the engine is still on warranty, any changes such as installing a pre filter or a Donaldson two stage filter will void the engine warranty.
Kawasaki does not, I repeat, does not supply any air filter "upgrades" such as installing a Donaldson two stage air filter to any of their engines that do not have a Donaldson two stage as standard equipment.
After the warranty has expired, you are at liberty to do anything to your engine that you wish, the engine is yours!
Meanwhile, to maintain the warranty agreement with the engine manufacturer or equipment manufacturer such as John Deere, the operator must use approved maintenance parts, oils, filters, etc.
To best comply with this, it is highly recommended that the operator follow the instructions specified in the operators manual(s) and use the manufacturers own maintenance parts such as air filters, oil filters, etc., during the warranty period.

Last edited: