I'm going to pick up two diesel grasshoppers next week. I need some info.

TimGoodman

Threads
  • / I'm going to pick up two diesel grasshoppers next week. I need some info.
Hello everyone.

I'm getting a couple project mowers next week. A 721d and a 928d. They were both purchased new in 1997 and were used on a tree farm up until last summer. They have been sitting out in the field for at least a year, and from appearances, I'm guessing they have never been parked under a roof. The 928d is missing the dipstick for the hydro fluid tank and the oil is slightly milky. I want to get them to my shop prior to doing any work on them. I read something about some dump valves at the hydro motors that need to be opened prior to moving them. I would appreciate anyone that could offer a little more detail and helpful advise that may save me some head aches. The deal we made is that if I can get one running, I can keep one for myself. I'm excited about this project.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Tim

bobbysr

Threads
The dump valves are located on the pumps. Being its a 1997 , you probably have (2) G1 transmissions. Therefore you will have (2) dump valves ( one on each). I had a 1997 725 , and I beleive that the dump valve nut had a rod running through it to make it easier to turn. I think its one full turn to the left and the mower will free wheel.

173abn

Threads
bobbysr is right about the rod running through the hole.just rotate counterclockwise to freewheel...russ

TimGoodman

Threads
Thanks guys!

I took a closer look today and should have taken more pics. There were some rods on top of the pumps that were bent into a triangle shape at the end. They were approximately 3" long. I didn't try to turn them. I hope these are what you are describing as they are easy to get at. If what you are describing is underneath, I have a problem with snakes, spiders, wasps, and anything else that may be hiding under the tall grass. If they are under the machine, I'm gonna pull them out onto fresh cut ground and hope I don't damage anything.

I got more details today.

The 721D has 1135 hours on the meter, the deck is a Model 9561S, and it has a deck lift toggle switch on the control panel. The engine cover was unbolted (but not removed) and the hose from the air cleaner to the intake was removed. I didn't see any sign of water in the intake. The fuel lines were disconnected at the injectors and the connections are rusted though not so bad a little fine sanding cloth can't clean it up. The radiator looked to be empty and rusty inside. the hydraulic fluid was at an acceptable level on the dipstick and looked normal. The engine oil level was a solid 3/4" above the full mark and as black as any normal diesel engine oil.

The 928D has 650 hours on the meter, the deck is a model 9372S, and no deck lift. This tractor has not been taken apart, the radiator is full of green coolant, the engine oil is also over full, and the dipstick is missing on the hydro fluid tank and the fluid is starting to get milky.

There is also a grass catcher that I haven't seen yet. I have a couple pics on my cell phone. I'll try to get them posted shortly.

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress and Thanks again for any suggestions.

TimGoodman

Threads
I've got a couple pics.

One is of the tractors and the other is of the dump valve I think. Now if I can get them posted.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 63
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 66

173abn

Threads
Tim,the last pic is the dump valve.just rotate it and you should be good to go...russ

TimGoodman

Threads
Thanks Russ.

I'll get more pics and update as I go with this project.

Can anyone tell me if there is a drain plug for the hydraulic fluid tank? I really want the milky fluid drained and tank flushed prior to going much further. If there is no drain plug, what is the recommended procedure for changing fluid?

Thanks
Tim.

bobbysr

Threads
There might be a plug on the tank reservoir . Otherwise, pull off the lowest hose & let drain that way. Don't forget new hydro filters.

TimGoodman

Threads
Thanks Bobby

I'm gonna try to get them home tomorrow provided no emergencies come up.
Tim

173abn

Threads
Tim,I changed mine 3 yrs ago but can't remember if there is a drain plug.don't see one in the manual. I'll look at mine tomorrow and let you know...russ