MTD Huskee with horizontal 6.5hp 120000 series briggS won't start

Hsquad12

Threads
  • / MTD Huskee with horizontal 6.5hp 120000 series briggS won't start
Hello,
So I picked up a very clean Huskee chipper/shredder with a 6.5hp horizontal Briggs and Stratton from a guy who could not get it running.
He bought it from an old lady and it would run but not take throttle. He screwed around with it and gave up once he got to the point where it would not run at all.
I had hoped it was the flywheel key but this checked out fine.
I then cleaned the carb
Set the valve clearance 4" and 9" respectively (although the instructions are a bit confusing from the very poor instructions on the Briggs and Strattton site)
I set the governor linkage per the manual
And set the magneto air gap to 10"
The plug has spark although I think it's a bit on the weak side
The valve timing checks out and again when I revisit it
The exhaust is venting raw fuel and uncompetitive combustion.
I can feel the engine suck and blow powerfully through the exhaust and spark plug hole...

And now I am doing my head in trying to figure out what the heck I am missing.....
What I have noticed is that when I open the throttle lever from the stop position to the bunny nothing happens to the throttle butterfly I the carb linkage. Infact the linkage moves very little when I move the throttle lever and I would have expected it to move from the Idle position on the idle screw to the WOT condition when the bunny speed is selected on the main lever.
The engine is almost at the point of firing so does anyone have a suggestion to help me over the line?
I know the fix must be a simple one.
Thx
Es

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think your " must mean "thousandths. The spark is always controversial. Try the poor man's tester with an old spark plug by cutting off the 90 degree bend over the center electrode and seeing if the spark will jump the 1/8." The raw fuel IMO suggests looking at the float setting and inlet valve (flooding?). Finally, your description of a throttle butterfly that will not rotate suggests a broken shaft or slipping crank arm on the shaft or .... the butterfly is not attached , somehow , to the shaft. I am winging the latter as I do not know your machine.

Hsquad12

Threads
Thanks to DaveTN and motoman I managed to get the beast running today.
I swapped the magneto and spooled her up on the rope with 8-10 fierce pulls she cleared out the gunk and now the motor is running sweet!!!m!:thumbsup:

What was confusing me with the throttle linkage was the fact that the throttle plate barely moves at all in relation to the throttle level and gov linkage when the engine is not running.
After reviewing all the information and images online it appears that once the engine fires the throttle plate function of the governor is that once the engine gets up to speed the throttle plate pulls closed slightly to adjust the rpms.....
Bottom line I am delighted with my $50 chipper and thanks to those who offered help.:wink: