Shindaiwa T235 Trimmer, Is it really good as they say ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Shindaiwa T235 Trimmer, Is it really good as they say ?
As I posted elsewhere my Dealer is having year end sale, a Shindaiwa T235 can be bought new for $199.

I have been thinking Echo or Stihl for new 2 cycle trimmer, but now this is in the running too.

I really appreciate any input, I want to get best bang for my $$.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Shindawia T235 Trimmer, Is it really good as they say ?

If I am correct, Shindaiwa is owned by Echo. I have an Echo. The SRM 225. They are mostly the same; they have the same engine. I also have a few KM90r from STIHL.

At first, we loved the STIHL trimmers. When I got the Echo, we had problems with it and didn't like using it. After getting it fixed and using it for a while, we starting liking it and now we mostly use it. The STIHL are spending a lot more time on the rack. All in all, the STIHL trimmers run good, I've had some problems tho with them (coil and eating spark plugs). I think you will like the Shindaiwa a lot. I have tried it and it runs good. Things to keep in min tho:

STIHL is heavy
STIHL dealers are everywhere
ECHO is very light = not as tired.
ECHO is not very strong = you will want something stronger in the spring when the grass is long and wait or when you need to do some abandonned houses.
ECHO carb sucks on the SRM225
ECHO has a very nice handle

I say get it.

Threads
Yeah that is pretty much a red SRM-225. :laughing: OK, there are differences, but I would either get that or the Echo.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow !! Fast replies, Thank You both.

This is gonna be just for my home use. But prices are about same for all 3 so.....

And from what I understand (reading) the Shindaiwa has a solid drive shaft, forged piston with 3 piston rings, instead of 1.
Ball bearings used instead of bushings.

Extra capacity Speed Feed head. Better carb, Dual air filtration system, etc. I am seeing these on Ebay for $349.99

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea, the Shin is better built I think. Go for that one.

Lawn Addict
Threads
For about same money, I think that would be a good investment. Supposed to be Commercial unit.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Indeed! Commercial it is. I use the SRM225 commercialy.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am definately gonna look at one this week. "Fleet Week" sale ends on the 15th.

Then another year end sale is on the 21 & 22nd, & then the deals are gone till next year.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Shindawia T235 Trimmer, Is it really good as they say ?

As I posted elsewhere my Dealer is having year end sale, a Shindaiwa T235 can be bought new for $199.

I have been thinking Echo or Stihl for new 2 cycle trimmer, but now this is in the running too.

I really appreciate any input, I want to get best bang for my $$.

If I am correct, Shindaiwa is owned by Echo. I have an Echo. The SRM 225. They are mostly the same; they have the same engine. I also have a few KM90r from STIHL.

At first, we loved the STIHL trimmers. When I got the Echo, we had problems with it and didn't like using it. After getting it fixed and using it for a while, we starting liking it and now we mostly use it. The STIHL are spending a lot more time on the rack. All in all, the STIHL trimmers run good, I've had some problems tho with them (coil and eating spark plugs). I think you will like the Shindaiwa a lot. I have tried it and it runs good. Things to keep in min tho:

STIHL is heavy
STIHL dealers are everywhere
ECHO is very light = not as tired.
ECHO is not very strong = you will want something stronger in the spring when the grass is long and wait or when you need to do some abandoned houses.
ECHO carb sucks on the SRM225
ECHO has a very nice handle

I say get it.

Let me say first off the Echo doesn't own Shindiawa. They are both owned along with Kioritz by the Yamabiko Corp. Yes there made in the same place, run the same engine, there basically the same unit just different colors.

The reason Yamabiko purchased Shindiawa and paired them with Echo was because they tried to get a patent on a four stroke engine for Echo and were turned down so in order to compete with Stihl they purchased Shin who already had the four stroke engine, at least that's what I've been told. The points that lawnboy posted would be accurate for the most part, but it doesn't necessarily make it your best choice. Here are a few points you may want to consider in your purchase.

He said the Echo is very light, it weighs 12lbs while the Shin weighs 12.1 the only problem is the Stihl 90r weighs 11.7 lbs and if you want less weight the Stihl 100rx comes in at 10.8 both lighter units than the Echo or Shin if weight is an issue. Now the problem as I see it would be the fact that both the Echo and Shin are running 21.2cc engines while the Stihl 90r is a 28.4cc and the 100rx is a 31.4cc engine so if your looking for power and efficiency Stihl would get you the most for your money or the best bang for your $$. Yeah the Stihl will probably cost a bit more but as they say you get what you pay for. If your into 2 stroke the Stihl FS 94 is available and it also has more engine with the 24.1 cc and it weighs 10.1 lbs which is lighter than all the rest. It also has that ECO-SPEED throttle set wheel which allows you to set the most effective throttle speed for a specific application.

One of the things I like about the Stihl units is that their carbs are adjustable with a screw driver and the Echos you need special tools to adjust the carbs and there tools you can't buy and I assume the Shins are the same way which IMO makes them throw away carbs. I can also tell you that the Stihl 90r and the 100RX will do any job that you'll run into. I just purchased the 100RX and it's a kick butt unit.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Threads
I've still got my two old T-25 Shindawas and they still run good, but haven't
been using them for the last 7 or 8 years due to working on other people's
weedeaters and using them to trim my lawn. Hey! I gotta test them out
somehow. Why wear my Shindawa out? :laughing: