All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range??

packardv8

Threads
  • / All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range??
I loved my 2135 and turns out, it was just about perfect for my yard. I tried a Toro 42" zero turn and it just flat won't handle hills and slopes, so I'm on the hunt for another Cub tractor. If you were looking in that deck size range with a bagger, what models would you choose?

jack vines

packardv8

Threads
Thanks, Mark. As mentioned, I liked the 2135 and still have a running parts 2165, so I'd like to find a mower deck for that one, but there hasn't been a mower or deck for sale in a couple of years. One explanation might be those who have the 2000 like them so much they aren't selling.

I'm not at all familiar with the 1000-series and there seem to be dozens of different models. Which are the best of those?

jack vines

greynold99

Threads
Packardv8,

What happened to your 2135? The last I read you were going to pull the fuel tank to clean it out to resolve the apparent heating/vapor lock issue after mowing for an hour or so.
Just curious since I know how much you put into that tractor...
Thanks,
greynold99

packardv8

Threads
Stolen one dark night.

Thieves pushed it 125' with the rear wheels locked and somehow lifted it into a pickup.

Still have the two new fuel filters I'd just bought for the fuel tank project.

What I hadn't been noticing is there just aren't any used commercial tractor mowers for sale, so I'm really missing it.

jack vinesThis user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.

greynold99

Threads
Packardv8,
So sorry to hear your 2135 was stolen. I have an outside garage that can be locked but have always felt more at ease keeping the 'old girl' in the basement garage. Too much riff raff patrolling the back country roads looking for trouble nowadays. Most every week there's local reports and headlines of property theft or home invasion/break ins.
I've seen Cubs in the 2000 Series on eBay and Craigslist when I was looking to pick up another 38" deck for a spare but have never purchased from them though I had some luck selling a car and tires over Craigslist.
Also this would probably be a good time to start checking dealers, both Cub and non-Cub for trade-ins since a lot of owners will start experiencing the problems that we're both so familiar with and just trade 'em in to unload ...
Good luck in your search,
greynold99

packardv8

Threads
Agree, the new models have all the bells and whistles.

However, after the original Cub Cadet Model 70/100 et al, lawn tractors were superseded, for the next forty years their acolytes claimed the new models were a cheap flimsy imitation.

Was just wondering if the late-20th-century models had any adherents who claim they were the last good ones.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD now own Cub,
For a while they just "owned' it and apart from adopting the Cub style deck release across the MTD range did little with Cub
However they are now putting some cash into Cub and it looks like they are aiming squarely at the high end residential, entry level commercial market.
There is a small market for domestic customers who are both capable of recognising good quality and willing to pay extra for it.
However there is a rapidly growing market for entry level commercial equipment as factories & offices close down and the redundant ex employees go looking for a small business opportunity.

packardv8

Threads
FWIW, I just got the 2166 up and running and on first use am reminded of just how well built the 2000 series are and how well they drive and mow. It's possible I've got an unsolvable problem in the front lawn has too many trees and flower beds for anything larger than the late-lamented 2135, but the 2166 with 48" deck certainly makes easy/short work of the rough 1/2-acre of back lawn. Once I get the belt-driven-fan-assist bagger attached, it will be too large for tight spaces.

jack vines