All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range??

packardv8

Threads
  • / All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range??
FWIW, I just got the salvaged 2166 project up and running and on first use am reminded of just how well built the 2000 series are and how well they drive and mow. It's possible I've got an unsolvable dichotomy in the front lawn has too many trees and flower beds for anything larger than the late-lamented 2135, but the 2166 with 48" deck certainly makes easy/short work of the rough 1/2-acre of back lawn. Once I get the belt-driven-fan-assist bagger attached, it will be too large for tight spaces.

jack vines

greynold99

Threads
Welcome back Packardv8,

Missed your posts and updates on your 2135. I was considering selling mine this year and getting one of the newer Enduro Cubs but after your experience decided to keep my 20 year old girl.

Decks are going to be hard to come by for the 2000 tractors and I've had mine patch welded twice already to keep it running... Not having some extra metal reinforcement on the mower deck rollers and for the seat on the rear-fender sheetmetal were the only major engineering defects I've identified. Plus a little better heat-shielding for the fuel line path from the fuel pump to the carb.

Again glad to see you're back,
greynold99

packardv8

Threads
Welcome back Packardv8,
Thanks, greyold99, I've missed having a good Cub.

Decks are going to be hard to come by for the 2000 tractors
For true! It took three years of watching craigslist, but I got a mongo deck and blower for $100.

Not having some extra metal reinforcement on the mower deck rollers and for the seat on the rear-fender sheetmetal were the only major engineering defects I've identified.
Again, for true. The 2166 I just patched up was used to tow a salt spreader and the footboards rusted off it. The seat and rear fenders are just held together with four 1/4" bolts through thin sheetmetal.

Plus a little better heat-shielding for the fuel line path from the fuel pump to the carb.
This one is still debatable. I've had to replace the fuel line on both the 2135 and the 2166, but have not positively proven the steel line running through the shroud is the source of problems. The 2135 stuttering and stalling, which I was certain was vapor lock, turned out to be trash in the fuel tank. On the 2166, the line from the tank was cracked enough to pour fuel and the molded 90-degree rubber line from the steel line to the carb was plugged solid with its' own detritus. Because the turn was so tight, a straight line would kink, I routed a new line from the fuel pump, running outside the shroud and around to the carb.

[quotre]Again glad to see you're back,
greynold99[/QUOTE]

jack vines

mrfred54

Threads
I guess i'm still old school because I still love my old 129 cadet. the engine ben overhauled once back in 1988 and I put an hour meter on it at that time and now has 3882 hrs. on it and will probably still be runnin after i'm gone. my neighbor has had 3 zero turns in the last 12 to 15 years, one JD,one toro,and now has an X mark and I know my ole cadet will outlast that one also. there never has been or never will be another lawn tractor built as good as an ole cadet,hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!

RudyP

Threads
Just had to chime in, +1 on the CC2166. My 2166 w/42" stamp deck started it's 13th season this year and if I could find another one in the crate that was forgotten in a warehouse my dream would come true. Our family owned a "mom & pop" retail hardware/appl./lumber yard/outdoor power equip. business for almost 30 years until 1992 where we sold Snapper, Murray, Yazoo, Gilson, Scag and Stihl but this CC 2166 is hands down the best all round lawn tractor I have ever owned. I am now negotiating with our local Cub dealer to order a new XT3 GS and use the 2166 to mow in areas of the yard I don't want to put a new one and to also pull our lawn sweeper and yard trailer.

packardv8

Threads
For all around use, it's difficult to improve on the 2166. I just sold mine with much regret. The 48" deck was just a bit large for my rough, hilly lawn and it didn't have a grass catcher. The Toro ZT I'm now using does cut smoother and turns tighter on the flat, but the tractor's ability to handle sidehills will be sorely missed. The transaxle on the 2166 is a big 'un an makes the Toro undercarriage look like it came out of a kitchen blender. No chance the Toro will be doing the job as long as the CC.

jack vines

1982-4502

Threads
For all around use, it's difficult to improve on the 2166. I just sold mine with much regret. The 48" deck was just a bit large for my rough, hilly lawn and it didn't have a grass catcher. The Toro ZT I'm now using does cut smoother and turns tighter on the flat, but the tractor's ability to handle sidehills will be sorely missed. The transaxle on the 2166 is a big 'un an makes the Toro undercarriage look like it came out of a kitchen blender. No chance the Toro will be doing the job as long as the CC.

jack vines
I own a Cub Cadet 109 , 38 inch deck,I rebuilt,and repainted. work in 1967 for ih dealer. great mowers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome back Packardv8,

Missed your posts and updates on your 2135. I was considering selling mine this year and getting one of the newer Enduro Cubs but after your experience decided to keep my 20 year old girl.

Decks are going to be hard to come by for the 2000 tractors and I've had mine patch welded twice already to keep it running... Not having some extra metal reinforcement on the mower deck rollers and for the seat on the rear-fender sheetmetal were the only major engineering defects I've identified. Plus a little better heat-shielding for the fuel line path from the fuel pump to the carb.

Again glad to see you're back,
greynold99

Use your old blades.
I have fabbed some replacement hooks for the front drag links and also lined the wear areas inside the deck that have erroded