ANOTHER TAKEOVER

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't worry. Uncle Sam will finally allow at least two companies to remain so that you may have competitive pricing.:laughing:

Homer1

Threads
Well, I like Generac, I've never owned a DR. Sounds like a good merger to me. Dunno

javjacob

Threads
There have been a lot of equipment manufactures getting bought out lately it seems. Hope we don't end up with a bunch of greedy monopolies. I guess if that happens I will only buy used which is usually what I do anyway.

possum

Threads
Sounds like they want that name to brand some of their generators and pressure washers with as well as put their Chinese Honda clone engines on the lawn and chore stuff.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
There have been a lot of equipment manufactures getting bought out lately it seems. Hope we don't end up with a bunch of greedy monopolies. I guess if that happens I will only buy used which is usually what I do anyway.

Sorry, I can't help myself here. The sentence " Hope we don't end up with a bunch of greedy monopolies" cracked me up. :laughing: Have you thought about that sentence since you posted it? I thought monopoly meant single, or one. How is it possible to have a bunch of them? I do get the point you are trying to make though. I just thought it was pretty funny.

javjacob

Threads
Sorry, I can't help myself here. The sentence " Hope we don't end up with a bunch of greedy monopolies" cracked me up. :laughing: Have you thought about that sentence since you posted it? I thought monopoly meant single, or one. How is it possible to have a bunch of them? I do get the point you are trying to make though. I just thought it was pretty funny.

I guess I didn't think that through. I meant 1 monopoly for lawn mowers and another for chainsaws and another for string trimmers and another for generators ...ect. :thumbsup: Then maybe Wal-Mart will buy them all out? :laughing: Then we will all be going to the Wal-Mart dealership/supercenter :thumbdown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well we will end up with a greedy monolopy because we are, ,, greedy.
There are few in rich countries like the USA or Australia that can not afford to pay a fair and proper price for the goods we consume.
But by far the majority refuse to do so and go for the cheapest possible alternative so garbage merchants like Wally Mart & Harbour Freight can desimate the entire nations economy by forcing local manufacturers to the wall by flooding the market with artificially underpriced subsidised inferior products from China , India, South Africa , Brazil etc,etc,etc,etc.

And I am not trying to take the piss out of Americans we are just as bad down here.
We used to be a major exporter of inovative high quality push mowers.
But we just had to have cheaper and cheaper ones till there was no profit left in making mowers locally so now we are one of the largest importers of push mowers and even worse most are plain garbage but because they are cheap garbage we just can not get enough of them.

Sales of cheap Chineese unbranded chainsaws has become so competative that you can now buy a complete 100cc saw cheaper that I can buy reasonable quality 20" bar chain loop let alone a genuine Oregon bar & chain combo which these saws supposedly have fitted.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I didn't think that through. I meant 1 monopoly for lawn mowers and another for chainsaws and another for string trimmers and another for generators ...ect. :thumbsup: Then maybe Wal-Mart will buy them all out? :laughing: Then we will all be going to the Wal-Mart dealership/supercenter :thumbdown:

It gave me a good laugh. I get tickled at some of the sayings out there. One of my favorites is " They need to dig themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into". :laughing: I laugh every time I hear a sports announcer say it. It makes no sense to me. If they dug themselves into a hole, wouldn't more digging get them deeper in the hole instead of out of it?

Back to the issue. DR equipment may be available to areas that they were not previously available now that generac owns them. It does seem as though many companies are merging these days. It's the same way with farm equipment. Case purchased IH in the 80s, and has since purchased new holland and ford. Now the only farm equipment available in my area is john Deere or case IH. Larger companies purchase smaller companies to get their technology and consumer base. There may not ever be a monopoly, but the fewer companies there are competing for customers the higher they can run the prices up.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
'Oligopoly' is the situation where there are few suppliers in a market, such as the auto or airline industry. In some ways it's good for the consumer. Think of the problem of replacement parts if there were 10,000 auto brands.

Being able to afford to pay more for goods does not mean that one should, simply because they can 'afford' it. Every dollar spent unnecessarily on one good, is a dollar that can't be spent elsewhere. If acting in one's own financial self-interest is greed, then everybody is guilty of it, from the wealthiest person on the planet to the lowest bum in the gutter.

Every financial transaction transaction that takes place between two parties in a free market is a win/win for both. Both have decided they can do without whatever it is they're trading more than what they're getting in return, or the deal would not take place. The buyer decides he would rather have the seller's goods than his money; the seller decides he would rather have the buyer's money instead of his goods. Whether they 'like' the deal they made is irrelevant; they still voluntarily made it.

Take note that when the government forces its citizens to buy something, that is not a free-market transaction.